5 45.45%
  • Go for Western Digital 400 GB HDD

5 45.45%
  • Go for Seagate 400 GB HDD

1 9.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Maxtor vs. WD vs. Seagate

You might want to consider the warrenty

WD is great about standing behind their drives. I had one die after about a year and all I had to do was go to the web site and type in the serial # and a few other things to verify that I had actually bought it, give them a credit card # and they sent me a replacement. I had a new drive in just a few days. Then I sent them the old drive in the packing they had sent and they verified that it was indeed defective. Then they sent a confimation that the old drive was bad and that the case was closed. Absolutely great. I have to give them 5 stars for that. It was easy and quick. Every company should strive to do as well.

Just something to consider.

I've used them all and either directly or indirectly (other ppls) had problems with all of them. Warranty and backup, warranty and backup, warranty and backup!

Quote Originally Posted by bonz_dragon
    Or, how about adding a moble rack or 2. Kingwin is also making them for Sata drives now. Or do you need access to all that data at the same time?

I use a rack for Multi OS w/o having to dual boot. Have 2 frames in drive bays and xtra trays for different drives. Works well other than having to reboot to make a change in drives.
    I've actually though a lot about this, the only turn off about External racks is the idea itself.

Is good, it definitely solves my Storage issue, but problem is... it's kinda annoying to have yet another external box.

i'm trying to keep everything in 1 box.

it's more of a issue for "Emergency" contra measures

call me Paranoid, but i need to have my system readily available to disconnect immediately as a pick it up and RUN

Katrina for example
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

AllGamer.
    The ones I use are internal and fit in a 5 1/4" bay so there is nothing loose on the desk but the assorted drive trays. Also this way I can move between different systems and secure data by removing the drive and locking it up if needed.

Also the Kinkwins only run around $20 to $25.

I'ved WDs exclusivley for the past 4 years and have 6x200Gb and a pair of 320Gb drives connected to my PC at the moment.
    I sell 2-3 PCs per month (not a lot I know) and have yet to have a WD fail.
    When my supplier used maxtor I had several fall over and die, but touch-wood, no bad WDs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    Just another $0.02 worth of advise.

Toshiba hard drives = BAD. I have had as many Toshibas go belly up as I have Maxtors.
    Gotta agree with ya there. Their notebooks are mighty wierd too. Unless you install windows from their own restore CDs, don't try to perform a windows update
    I had several that have reset themselves and never fully recovered after I did this.

Brand loyalty is a reflection of what you are comfortable with and what has given you problems in the past. My instinct when I read the thread was to say I'm a Maxtor man and would wait for them to retail the 400+ and I still feel that way, although I too have used seagates and wd's and all have treated me well over the years. Actually, no, screw the seagates! I remember 3 different 10 gig 5400 drives going down with in a year of purchasing them. They were installed in three different machines and all were taken care of and not overworked. Maxtor it is!

Quote Originally Posted by bonz_dragon
    AllGamer.
    The ones I use are internal and fit in a 5 1/4" bay so there is nothing loose on the desk but the assorted drive trays. Also this way I can move between different systems and secure data by removing the drive and locking it up if needed.

Also the Kinkwins only run around $20 to $25.
    i've seen these ones as well, these will definitely not work for me
    i'm already using all 4 of my 5.25" bays
    1 by the DVD-RW
    3 by HDDs
    and my 6 other 3.5" bays are also loaded with 6 HDDs

i even skipped the 3.5" 1.44 FDD to make way for the HDD, else i'd have had only 5 slots for 3.5" drives.

that's why the external rack idea is about the next best thing, if there's no other choice.

obviously upgrading internal HDDs to larger capacities ones, will do the trick (for a short therm )

external SATA racks with independent PSU cost range is extremely weird they go from like $300 to like $2000 just for the box.

the less expensive are like from those no names taiwan manufactures, and well.. i'm not exactly fond to seeing my drives go up in smoke.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

9 drives! Holy Shmokers Batman!!! You probably have more tied up in drives than I have in my whole rig.

Though I suppose you could still replace 2 drive bays with removables and use'm like giant floppies cause it sounds like you have real space issues.

Good Luck figuring this one out.

I just bought one of these. Added a couple of 320s and its going great.
    http://www.netgear.com.au/products/p...asp?prodID=648

So far I have over 20 Maxtor Drives (combination of PATA and SCSI). I haven't bought a single hardrive in 3~4 years to replace those drives (yes my maxtors are still 40Gbs).
    I also have over 10 Seagates that failed me, but probably it was a defect that was corrected already. All seagate drives I bought between Jan~Oct of 2002 died within a year. My only running seagate drive is a 10Gb SCSI on my old Pentium3 Domain Server on WinNT4.