Thread: Processor Speed Question

Processor Speed Question

I'll have to admit that I have been out of the computer terms for a few years, but I am now ready to purchase a new computer. I'm a bit confused about processor speed. For example: Tiger Direct has advertised:

eMachines T6520 AMD Athon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz / 1GB DDR

What do the specs 3400 and then 2.4GHz? What speed is the processor? What number should I be concerned with?

Thanks

The 3400 is AMD's numbering scheme. The 2.4 would be the number to use if you compared it to an Intel machine.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Officially, the PR rating is the performance rating if the cpu was actually like a SlotA athlon. Of course, most of us know that it's a direct shot at Intel Pentium cpus. The 2.4GHz is the actual clock speed of the cpu. it's probably easier to shop but the PR rating.

Look at the best of cpus sticky for more info:
    Best of CPU's and Overclocking

So 3400+ doesnt mean its fast as a Intel 3.4 ghz? That was the answer I got when I asked about the AMD ####+ thing before.
    [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDCAMMXQJ6FfJxOCQF09*LqCtAcvnP6TECA!3lg191Yk!!vG lA![/img]

Specs-
    Athlon AMD XP 1.8ghz
    192MB SDRAM
    Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 64MB
    4GB HDD(Small, I know)
    Dirty Keyboard
    Wireless Mouse

yes it does - its as fast as a 3.4GHz Intel - AMD doesnt rate their processors just in GHz, since its a completely different architecture - it's not an accurate measurment - GHz or MHz is the frequency at which the CPU processes information inside it - AMDs architecture routes the way information is processed differently than INTEL the FSB speed is the speed at which information gets into the processor - I have an AMD ATHLON 64 2800+ and its just as fast as my Buddy's Intel P4 3.0GHz machine.

AMD Athlon™ XP Processor Benchmarking and Model Numbering Methodology

The AMD Athlon™ XP processor's model numbering system indicates a relative application performance among AMD Athlon XP processors, as well as communicates the architectural superiority over existing AMD Athlon processors. Higher model numbers represent better application performance. AMD has assembled a suite of industry standard benchmarks and applications to determine the application performance of AMD Athlon XP processors. These benchmarks and applications represent a broad array of real-world applications. Specifically, AMD has identified three usage models which best exemplify the commercial and consumer end user PC experience: Office Productivity, Digital Media, and 3DGaming.

AMD has generated the following benchmark data. Pricewaterhouse Coopers, a global professional services firm, has independently audited the performance results of the AMD Athlon™ XP processor 3200+ displayed in the graph below.

source: www.amd.com

to shed some light..