Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinkpad laptop BSOD

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar

Thinkpad laptop BSOD

Installed wireless internet at my friends house last night and as soon as the Netgear program finished installing I got a BSOD screen and now the computer won't load into Windows. I also get an error message at the very first boot screen that says "disk fail 0200". This comp had been on high speed internet for a few days with no virus protection or anti spyware. I cleaned it all out and it found a few viruses that AVG cleaned up, but after that nothng worked right. Also, ever since she has been connected to the internet the computer has run really slow and the HDD makes a very loud clicking sound, but not always.
    the setup is:

IBM Thinkpad
    Celeron 1.13
    120 mb RAM
    20GB HDD
    Windows XP

I've never had a problem I couldn't fix through SYsopt help, so what do I do?
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    1.) Run more anti-virus anti-spyware tools, AVG does not get everything.

2.) Run hard drive diagnostics.

I cant run AVG or anything else b/c the comp won't boot. I get the hard disk error message and then it goes straight to BIOS, nothing else will happen. If I can run a hard drive diagnostic test, how do I do it and where do I get the program? Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Have you tried getting into safemode or reverting back to the "last known good configuration"? You can access both of these options by pressing F8 upon starting up. If neither of these options work try using a windows recovery disk.

Thanks, I am getting the laptop tonight to work on. BTW, I have no recovery CD because some guy from IBM gave her the computer and he isntalled the software. I do however have a Windows XP Home edition that I can install temporaily. But there are files that she needs. So it is ideal to save the HDD.
    I will try the F8 command.

There is likely a IBM Product Recovery Program at F11 on the first or second screen.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4UFUYK

Is that an R31?
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 11-23-2005 at 11:49 PM.

The problems continue. I actually got it to get into Windows completely, so I ran a disk check and it found several errors that it fixed. After that the computer worked perfect and ran at the normal, quick speed. I played around with it for awhile, just organizing files, and I was convinced taht it was fixed. But then I tried to install Open Office from my USB drive and it froze the computer up. Now the comp reboots everytime the Windows XP screen comes up. It will not get into Windows now and I have no clue, once again. What do ya say?

Get yourself a copy of UBCD , http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=173743
    , and use it to run memory and HDD diagnostics. You might want to be sure all the drive connections are good and clean as well . Be sure your running on AC power , and not a bad battery. Since the drive has been infected , thats still suspect.

Try this:

Go to bootdisk.com/bootdisk and d/l xp quick boot disk. Put the files onto a floppy disk and put the disk into the A: before starting up the computer.

If you get into windows I would than go to start menu, run and type in "sfc /scannow".

good luck

The computer has no floppy drive and I can not get into Windows no matter how many times I try or which ways i try to do it. So how am I supposed to get any dianostics to run on this dumb thing?

Can you boot from the CD drive ?

If you can get to Safe Mode with Command Prompt , try System Restore >

%systemroot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

cant get into safe mode. i dont know if it will boot from the CD drive. how do i figure that out?

It will boot from CDROM and will also boot from a USB floppy. When you first boot, you should see options:
    F1 - BIOS Setup Utility
    F11 - To invoke the IBM Product Recovery Program. This program has all kinds of recovery and diagnostic utilities including a disk diagnostic. It will also do a full restore of WinXP if desired.
    F12 - for IBM Boot Devices list
    If you do not see this option then you need a "boot restore diskette" which, ironically, can only be created from within the Recovery Program. It is probably available from the IBM website, but since you do not even have a floppy drive, I have created one from a thinkpad in my shop and converted it to an ISO which you can download from my FTP site and burn to CD. Once downloaded, just right-click on it and "open with" your burning software. If ISO files are already associated with your burning software, you can just double-click on it.
    Boot from this disc and it should restore F11 access to the Recovery Program on the hidden partition. If Windows was installed by an IBM tech, then I would assume that the Windows installation files are on that partition.
    Good luck.
    ftp://tunz.serveftp.net/pub/Tpad-boot.iso
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 11-28-2005 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks man, a lot. But how do I download that file? I clicked on the link but it never did much. It went to a page that processed forever. How do I just download it to my USB drive (cuz I need to take it home and burn it to CD).