Thread: Need suggestion thinking about upgrading.

Need suggestion thinking about upgrading.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently running a neo 2-P mobo with p4 3.0 cpu.

Thinking of upgrading to something more recent and need some advice to pick the popular motherboards. I'm at lost with AMD VS. Intel and which is currently on top. Which is the popular board of today that is 99% of the performance at a reasonable price.

Please advise intel or amd and which board for intel and which board with amd? I'm interested in an all out stable and able to excel in games.

Thanks

Suggested Hardware

AMD or Intel is basically personal prefrence. However if you are thinking about gaming I would suggest AMD all the way. I just got a AMD 4000+ and it runs games very smoothly. Plus most of the benchmark tests show that AMD is better for gaming. As for a motherboard(for an AMD) I would suggest something from ASUS.

Ultimate Member
    Is there any particular reason why you want to upgrade from a 3GHz P4? Gaming? Video card compatibility? What's out right now is not going to deliver a big noticeable gain in performance from a 3GHz P4.

Your motherboard supports 4GB DDR400; your southbridge supports the latest SATA disks; your AGP slot supports video cards all the way up to the 6800 ultra. Any reason for wanting to upgrade?

If you multitask a lot, you could get a big gain in performance by upgrading to dual-core, however, the fact that your CPU has HT will also decrease the noticeability of this increase.

All in all, something that looks to be solvable by component and not total upgrade.

This applies to not only you, but a lot of people out there.

- cV

Thanks for your tip but i was considering a new system because one of my computer at the office is freezing and it is getting worst. I was thinking of swaping with my old system and upgrading but perhaps i should try to fix and upgrade when there is a break through in the computer world.

This is bad from an office computer and I do not know if the cause is from RAM, Hard drive, or just Microsoft excel errors? It is a 1.33 amd ,MSI board crucial pc266 if i remember correctly and 20gb WD hard drive. GeForce MX 266 video card or something?

Win 2k sp4 and office 2003. Office and peachtree is ran for hours and computer is not connected to the internet. My best guess would be microsoft crash or perhaps harddrive is dying after 2.5 years of 60hr excel use.

Ultimate Member
    There won't be much of a breakthrough for some time to come. Before shelling out money to buy replacement hardware, I'd try to get a warranty repair. Anyway, memtest86 can be used to test for bad RAM, and prime95 can be used to test for a bad CPU and/or RAM. You could try swapping video cards if you think the video card is the problem.

Freezing and getting worse could be a result of multiple problems, such as bad motherboard capacitors and/or degrading cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by causticVapor
    Freezing and getting worse could be a result of multiple problems, such as bad motherboard capacitors and/or degrading cooling.
    Yeah, that is why I was thinking about upgrading and using my old computer for the office.