Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Will you buy Sony?

Quote Originally Posted by herosrest
    It's simply a naive mistake, expensive and embarrasing.
    Just Greed on the part of all those advising.
    I don't think it's that naive at all. I think it was calculated and intentionally hidden as best they could. They got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. I agree with the second part of your post though: it's all about greed. I'm okay with the greed--this is a business, right?--but I'm not okay with hiding things on my personal computer to further that greed even after I've followed the law and legitimately purchased a CD.

lt seems that several technologies were deployed to limited degree.
    Perhaps some assessment exercise was underway.
    To my mind , there lies the naivety.
    No one can come up with an equitable system off cp.

Whoever does 'crack' it, is made for life - assuming the solution is licenced.
    That's a powerful motive.

There is a biter bit angle now.
    l predict a mountain of commercial code rewrites about to get underway.
    There is a twist to misuse of GPL licenced code.

Talk about worms full of cans.

This is a prime example why I turn auto-play off on any computer I build.

It’s all overpriced garbage now a days. They used to make really good tvs, but now there are a few players that have surpassed the company that thinks it can continue to sell on it’s name alone.

The last cd I had that installed garbage on my computer was the first audioslave cd. I can proudly say I’ve distributed about 20 copies of that cd. “ Oh you like this song, here have the cd.”

I'm sad to say that I have to do the same thing.
    Even music CDs that pop up an annoying flash menu thing when you stick them into a computer are incredibly annoying, let alone the DRM type of thing that Sony thought that nobody would find.

Pretty much the only thing I want to do when I put an audio CD into my drive is to listen to it, or to transfer some of the tracks (there are never more than 1 or 2 on recent CDs) to my MP3 player.
    I don't want to make copies for oher people, I don't want to make rips of the music available over P2P networks and I certainly don't want to deprive a talented artist of their fair dues.

I wish more artists had the balls to offer their music direct to the consumer by cutting out Sony/MBG and all the other massive multinational corporations that take the bulk of the cost of a retail CD for themselves and then give perhaps 10% to the artist.

I don’t think the artist even gets 10% from the sales of the album. I heard an artist is lucky if they get a dollar for every album sold.

All those god **** company big wigs making 10 times as much money than the artist. It’s total bs I tell ya.

I buy blank cds for about 20 cents a piece for a 50 disc spindle. So how much does it cost them to buy a million?

I don’t make a habit of passing out cds or anything, just that one. It really gets under my skin when I buy a cd and want to make a copy for the car and rip mp3s for the computer and it secretly installs all this garbage on my rig. That in my mind, is totally unacceptable.

I will not be buying Sony products again, I had plans to get the PS3, I went down to EB the other day and cancelled my pre order, I think it was way wrong for Sony to do what they did. And not admitting to it when the problem was handed to them made them look even worse in my eyes. And as lodge says installing that muck on MY rig not Sony’s is unacceptable, we have to deal with enough of that from the scum the hangs around the net stealing innocent peoples ID's, but now its not just scum its a large company like sony. I mean its just wrong, they had it in there mind that the consumer is to stupid to find anything like that.

As Z said doesn’t that make you wonder what they are going to have on this Blue Ray? I certainly for one on concerned about it
    Last edited by CrazyCrusher; 11-19-2005 at 02:38 AM.

The funy part is that its now known that the rootkit 'phones home' to let sony know your listening habits. When asked about this, Sony stated:
    "we DO NOT collect any information from user's computers, but if we do its not individually identifiable"

So its like a rapist saying "I don't rape people, but if I do I've made sure they were 16+"

Quote Originally Posted by zybch
    The funy part is that its now known that the rootkit 'phones home' to let sony know your listening habits.
    I thought I read something about it scanning the hdd every 1.5 seconds for something. They’re also saying it could shorten the life span of consumers hdd. I could see that being a problem. Imagine your computer never actually being idle. Not sure if they’re getting a class action lawsuit or not.

So its like a rapist saying "I don't rape people, but if I do I've made sure they were 16+"
    LOL, good one. Tis true, must be why it's funny.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/11/18/sony_voip/

I wonder how many people will use this thing without reading the EULA only to find out that they state that Sony take ownership of their firstborn child

God, heres some MORE stuff that Sony has done.

Aparently a heap of code from LAME (that open source MP3 encoder thingy) is used in the CXP rootkit.

So, not only do Sony not want people to copy music by the artists it represents and has under contract (understandable I guess), but its prepared to steal software code from another company to do it. Way to set a good example Sony.

The LAME software is available under a GPL-type thing where it "requires the sharing of source code for products derived from those under the licence".
    I guess since Sony didn't license the code it doesn't think it should have to abide by the GPL and make the source available.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/app...9237377,00.htm

Is there nothing this corporate barbarian won't do?

Since they have effectivley stolen LAME's code, why can't we steal Sony's music?!?!
    After all, Sony set the example here, and we'd only be doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO.

It's not Sony's sw. They used it.

Without obtaining a license or adhering to the LGPL.
    That they paid another company for the software that breached the LGPL is irrelevant.

See what I started? I am so proud of myself for stirring up a hornets nest.

Actually Zybby, I had read about sony using lame without sticking to the open source agreement. Sony is an example of what a large corporation shouldn't do. I won't buy sony. Before sony just didn't have anything I wanted, I didn't go out of my way to avoid their products. Now I'll avoid them.