Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you buy Sony?

Will you buy Sony?

I am just wondering how you folks feel. Sony made a major snafu with the DRM they put on I believe 52 of their Cd's.

XCP has been a PR nightmare for Sony, I have read where allot of people are threatening to boycott everything Sony makes.

So, how do you feel? Will you boycott even Sony hardware? Will you boycott anything at all?

I am mixed on how I feel. I didn't buy any of the Cd's so I didn't personally get screwed but I am having a hard time trusting a company that would release software that could totally screw the customer on a MUSIC CD, not a software CD even.

Ultimate Member
    My plans to buy a PS3 haven't changed in the least.

Neither have mine.
    I wasn't going to buy one, and I'm STILL not going to.
    Sony are just plain anti-consumer. MS hit the nail on the head when they stated this very thing and put their support behind HD DVD instead of sony's offering.

I wonder what kind of anti-consumer they'll have built into the blu-ray DVD thingy. It'll most likely want to 'call home' whenever you instert a disk to make sure you have permission to play it.
    Basically, sony are like apple (if the iPod didn't exist). Stupid jerks would still buy their crud because of their once good name, but 96% of users would avoid their stuff like the plague.

The rootkits they added to their audio CD's amounts to nothing short of a virus. There are tools out there to remove them, and there are ways to see what's actually running in spite of Sony's MAJOR screwed-up effort to hide the processes.

For a long time Sony has been on the front lines of anti-CD-copying. This is just another incident. I tend not to buy Sony because they're usually overpriced for the quality.

If I had been a big Sony fan to begin with I would defiantly be boycotting their products from now on in the light of their recent excessive activities. I know quite a few people who have turned their backs on them and are now seeking alternate products.

Personally I have come across many Sony products over the years and IMO their products have no mid or high level range. There seems to be a chasm between their product ranges with the high performance professional studio gear on one side and cheap and nasty, poorly manufactured and overpriced products on the other.

I would not recommend Sony products to anyone and I certainly would not purchase them myself. This has been my position for a long time and this little episode has just strengthened my resolve.

What cracked me up is that they are offering an uninstall tool.
    Now to use this tool you have to fill in a lenghty form and submit it to them, then they send you a link.
    The form is sent over a non-secure connection
    They don't use any encryption or anything that would stop others sniffing your details (address, name, phone, email).

And lastly, the uninstall still leaves heaps of stuff behind that will cause problems.

Try to remove the rootkit yourself and you'll find your CD drives will vanish.
    So, sony not only infects your PC with an unwelcome and unstable backdoor for viruses and malware, they screw your PC up when you use their own tool to remove the rootkit, kill your CD drives if YOU try to get rid of it because their system is trash.

I have a sony amp but thats all I've ever bought. Their other stuff is just far too overpriced and underfeatured to realy look twice at. I've avoided sony optical drives for years now because they all failed well before the warranty was up, and their DVD players seem to have great difficulty in playing back disks that a $35 player I bought 2nd hand plays back with no problems at all (though it seems that most name brand dvd players are the same in this respect).

Boycott Sony, boycott Blu-Ray.

I'm in a bit of a quandry here. I've bought Sony products for years because of dependability, features, quality and pricing. Other than the Beta debacle ( yah, I bought one, thinking it'd be the winning format, won't do that again ) I've always been satisfied with them. Now, with this viral poop they came up with to protect their income, I'm not sure I'd buy, prolly a good thing I'm not in the market, as I'd think hard about supporting a company that would stoop so low as they have. I still won't buy Intel processors because of the floating point errors in early Pentiums and their denying the problem existed, and I won't shop at Sears because of how they tried to screw me over. So,, I'm not too sure if I'll buy another Sony product or not, I guess it all depends on how they take care of this MAJOR f'up and what else they do in the near future, as to whether I'll buy from them again or not.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tantone
    I tend not to buy Sony because they're usually overpriced for the quality.
    This is true

l don't believe this incident will harm their product range.
    It's simply a naive mistake, expensive and embarrasing.
    The real lesson here is the genie let out of the bottle. enuf said on that score.

DRM is a nightmare but everybody involved is wide awake.
    There has been a feeding frenzy and $$$ $igns in everybodys eyes.
    l honestly doubt there is any trustworthy advice on content protection.
    Just Greed on the part of all those advising.

Music cd's. Thinks hard for 20 seconds. Hmmmmmm.

I think the only thing I have sony in the house is maybe a cordless phone. I am not even sure about that.

Maybe some of my CDs are sony, out of 300-400 I figure some are. I quit buying music a long time ago. I don't like the newer stuff for the most part and with the RIAA acting the way they do I can't support them in any way.

I won't buy anything sony but then again I haven't been one of their prize customers anyway. I am not even in the market for any electrical gadgets other than a new dishwasher and sony doesn't make those.

I can't say they lost a customer in myself because I was never one to begin with. I forgot, my kids do have playstations but I never bought them. They were Christmas gifts from their aunt who has more money than brains.

One last thing before I give this topic up. Sony come up with this XCP to try to hurt piracy right? Now who did they kick in the groin area? The pirates? Hell no, they kicked their paying customers right in the nads.

Now that gives us all a reason to go and purchase a cd instead of downloading doesn't it? ROTFL. Corporations are their own worst enemy, instead of hurting the folks they intended to hurt they hurt the honest customer base by installing malware on their computer.

This is just unreal. I was reading right before I came back for this post about another DRM program sony has been using. This one I am not read on but it also has an active x uninstaller that leaves a security hole in the users computer.

Now, I have never been much of a sony customer. If they had something I needed at a fair price I would buy it. If not I'd buy another brand. What this has done is to make me avoid sony like the plague. I'll pay more to avoid them at this point in time and if I ever catch somebody with a sony disk within ten feet of my computer I'll beat them to a pulp. LOL, not really but ya get my drift.

Here is a link to the other DRM scandal sony is getting ready to face. Good lord these guys are in PR hell.

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/secu...ny_bmg_an.html

Oh great. Theyve done more than shot themselves in the foot, I think the shot themselves in the head this time

ho hum.