Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Will you buy Sony?

Quote Originally Posted by muchmark
    I wonder how this fubar will affect their Blu-ray DVD format.
    I don't know if it will. But I think Sony has the only big screen available for home use that can display the resolution of Blu-ray (1920x1080).Their new SXRD XBR models look mighty impressive, albeit expensive.

my Sony remote is excellent; sets up and learns commands easier than any other remote I've tried. macros can be entered in a matter of a few seconds; very impressive. my other 5 remotes are put away now.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher
    As Z said doesn’t that make you wonder what they are going to have on this Blue Ray? I certainly for one on concerned about it
    A bit old but: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000737057152/

If these Blu-Ray player can phone home, will it effect peoples buying decisions?

As soon as that 'feature' is made public there will be a backlash against Sony.
    There will always be these stupid Sony fanboys who will buy bluray regardless, but as ignorant as people are, the vast majority won't want their viewing habits being stored by Sony or any other media company and will not buy bluray.
    Bluray also makes your existing DV collection unplayable, and prevents any bluray-only releases from being playable on existing equipment, while HD-DVD is both backwards and forwards compatible with both regular and HD versions of the movie being available on a single disk, and being able to play back regular DVD titles in HD players with no compatibility issues.

Bluray is just like Sony and their rootkit, totally anti-consumer, and because of the lousy copy protection the DVD standards gits approved last time a lot of the media providers are all jumping on the bluray bandwagon because they think their content will be safer. Sure it will, but its also gonna die very quickly is 'features' like phone-home and locking a DVD to the first player its played on are retained.

Bluray is doomed if it isn't backwards compatable anyway. Like everybody in the world is going to toss the last 3 years of DVDs they have bought since DVD has replaced our beloved VHS tapes. I have not even replaced a tenth of my movies because it takes so long to transfer VHS to DVD.

I need to check and see if the is a console that will allow me to put a VHS tape into it and record a DVD. I know there are players that will play both, but is there a player that will also burn from a VHS?

In other words since I am having trouble getting my point across (percocet, I hate this stuff) is there a console that will play a VHS and has a DVD burner also?

The main problem as I see it is that many movie studios have allready backed the bluray format, and as soon as there are enough players they will most likely stop production of standard DVD disks. This kind of makes sense for them as the current DVD standard is just too easily gotten around and perfect quality copies can easily be made.
    They like the bluray format because it uses several DRM techniques that are all pretty strong unlike the CSS protection of DVD. Why would they want to keep producing easily copyable movies when they can instead force consumers to buy expensive bluray players and sell them uncopyable bluray movies instead.

HD DVD uses some of the same copy protection mechanisms but has the capability of standard DVD content and also HD content as seperate layers on the same disk, so you don't have to buy a new player right away (but you won't get the HD quality till you do).
    One of the main reasons HP and Microsoft have thrown their support behing HD DVD is for this feature which has been shown to work. The bluray standard does not allow for this, also, bluray disks haven't even been test-produced with more than a single layer yet.
    The more you look into the formats the worse bluray appears.

I am all for the studios protecting their "intellectual property" so I can deal with the HD DVD thing. I just do not want to start over again for the third time. I wouldn't have an issue with buying an HD DVD player even, not at all. I mean it would still play the DVD collection I already have.

Sony just wants to rule. Hopefully with MS and HP pulling for HD DVD that is what we will see happen. Sony bites anymore. Too much BS from them and all of it anti consumer.

Sony gonna back another Betamax??

We can but hope.

Blu-ray, HD-DVD, DVD movies; doesn't matter to me, I don't buy or won't buy any of them. If I want to watch a movie I just bring up the on-demand menu on cable and take my pick. Don't usually watch any that I have to pay extra for though.
    If something like Blu-ray were to try to phone home; why not just prevent it from doing so?

Thats fine if you don't want to be able to watch the movie.
    Unless you let the thing call-home you simply won't be able to play any DRM encoded media, a bit like you need to pay an additional fee (on top of the 99c per song) to burn your music tracks purchased over iTunes to a CD.

If they use the call-home thing, it'll be just like those divx-DVD players (not the video compression thing) that dialed home and made sure you could only watch a disk a certain number of times before self destructing, stuff like that.

Remember those divx players? No?
    Thats because nobody bought them because they crippled what you could do with the movies you purchased.

I remember divx players, but wasn't dumb enough to buy one, what a load of carp that was

And now sony wants to bring them back. But they call them bluray instead.

I still ain't that dumb. I'm not buying either new format for a while. I don't want to have to pay for a new player whilst the old one works fine. I still have a VCR that's in perfect working order too. This change the format every few years thing is gettin old. I was happy to buy a CD player mostly because I was tired of tapes breaking, etc. But now, they want us to buy a new TV, DVD player and all that just to line their pockets with the profits,, heck with em I say