Thread: Office 12 beta in next few weeks

Ultimate Member

Office 12 beta in next few weeks

Thanks...Jakk.
    After Beta Testing 2003 for almost a year before it went public, I can't wait.
    After using Outlook 2003, any other mail client just doesn't get it for me....there's simply too much good stuff there...

why go office when Open Office 2.0 is so much better
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Open Office is great...as long as you're not working with Content created in Excel.
    I've found many flaws in their software where it doesn't calculate formulas created in Excel properly.

Not to mention, it's for "personal" use only, NOT commercial...

Quote Originally Posted by dajogejr

Not to mention, it's for "personal" use only, NOT commercial...
    It's not only for personal use and can absolutely be used commercially...and most of the formula stuff has been fixed in 2.0.

I thought I read in the release notes of 1.1 that it was for personal use only.
    I could be mistaken.

However....

After converting our stores to OO 1.1 and have it fail miserably to save a few bucks, we purchased 2003 Small Bus. Edition for all our stores.

I'm sure 2.0 is better....but, at the expense of our stores taking that chance, I'm sure not going to walk that tightrope again...

However...going forward for home users that need to edit documents and spreadsheets, this is a very nice alternative...I dl'd it at home, and it's CD bound soon....

BTW...you are 100% correct. Wouldn't you know it...#1 on the FAQ list...

http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/mostfaqs.html

i never had problem with formulas in the spreadsheet even back in the 1.5 verison of OpenOffice.

Excel with formulas always worked fine. CONDITION... don't TOUCH them.

once you touch them, it breaks

and if it breaks you'll need to create all the formula and cross formulas from scrath
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Yeah, try telling that to 25 or so basic, and I mean BASIC computer users....

It just wasn't worth the head aches in the end. For those of us with little more skill, it's no problem. Then again, for those of us with more skill...we could get away with Paint and Notepad for most of our word processing and picture editing tasks...