Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: good ram?

good ram?

ok so for xmas i am wanting to get good ram. i guess my parents will be able to spend aroun 200bucks. i ahve the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail mobo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152) which allows me to get 4 x 184pin DDR lots (dual channel supportred). How much and which ram should i get?

The Crucial website has a tool to show you guaranteed compatible ram.

uhm i tried the system scanner but it wants to know what pc i have, but i build mine together by myself so i cant really get any further there

Get two sticks of Crucial RAM, 512MB each.

That should do all you need to do...and have some change, too.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...BL2KIT6464Z505

The System Scanner isn't worth a hoot. Use the Advisor Tool, and input the make and model of your motherboard. For the Ballistic series you have to do the same.
    The Ballistic dajogejr recommended is very good stuff for gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by dajogejr
    Get two sticks of Crucial RAM, 512MB each.

That should do all you need to do...and have some change, too.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...BL2KIT6464Z505
    those look really good but my mobo only supports up to PC3200 i believe, well thats what it says in the users manual.
    and also it doesn have DFI in the manufacturers in the advisor tool...
    Last edited by loAol; 11-14-2005 at 05:43 AM.

That's fine. The memory will just clock itself down to PC3200 speeds. This will leave room for future upgrades and faster processors, etc.

The RAM will work just fine.

Would getting 2GB of this corsair ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145450 be better then gettting 1GB of the one u showed me http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...BL2KIT6464Z505 ?

Nope....
    If I were you...get 1GB of that Corsair memory and be happy. Unless you are the hardest of hard core gamers, use PhotoShop like no other, are running a server...or all the above at the same time, I think 2GB is just a waste. 1GB should do all you want to do....

so is more not so good ram better or worse then less good ram?

No...bud. Re-Read my post. YOu don't need 2GB of RAM, it's a waste.

The RAM you listed is just fine, and cheaper to boot. However, if you were going to upgrade in the near future, or you planned to Overclock your system, the RAM I listed would be better for either of those. The future speed or headroom for Overclocking....

If neither of those apply...1GB of Corsair (2 X 512MB) PC3200 will suit you just fine indeed....

Personally...I'd rather have name brand RAM anytime, like Crucial, Corsair, etc.
    I never use cheap or generic RAM. However...if your the heaviest of users....then you can nitpick your stuff for latency timings, etc.

It doesn't sound like you or your needs are...though...

well if i get pc4000's now and only use them as pc3200's then thats kinda pointless...of course i could use them when i upgrade my mobo but when that happens pc5000 or even pc5500 might be out so its not worth it buying pc4000's now....know what i mean?

You may not need 2GB of RAM RIGHT now, however....the sys reqquirements of Windows is creeping ever upwards.

Win XP needs 128MB just to run (OK it can run on 64MB, but that's just silly) and 256MB to run at all well, with 512MB to run really well.. Win XP Pro 64 needs double these amounts so I've read. Windows Vista....well expect it to be at least the same as Win XP Pro 64.

By the time he "needs" 2GB of RAM, that system will be so outdated it won't matter.

You're not reading or understanding my posts...I guess.

IF YOU Plan on overclocking or upgrading SOON....then get the PC4000...or better yet, get the fastest RAM you can afford right at this point...

If you don't plan on doing either, get the PC3200.

You are wrong with Windows 64. I've used it on 256MB and it ran just fine. Granted, it wasn't a hard core gaming rig...but, then again....Windows XP 64 is kinda new...and not many apps have been written to optimize the use of 64 bit. It runs most programs in 32 bit mode still.

If you really want to go off the wall, invest in a new dual core CPU setup, and get really...really fast RAM. It'll be the second fastest out by tomorrow....

Bottom Line...get 1GB of PC3200. It sounds like that's all you'll need.

ok i understand what you're saying but will using 2 GB of the Corsair Ram make my PC faster then using only 1GB of that Corsair Ram?