Thread: WinXP Restarting without any reason.....

WinXP Restarting without any reason.....

Hello Friends: A VERY HAPPY DIWALI AND EID TO YOU ALL FROM ME!!! Two

major festivals of INDIA.
    Well now the problem part: -
    I have just completed my friends machine with Dual Booting. There r two OSes installed: -
    c: Windows98 SE
    d: WindowsXP Pro SP2 (with patches installed upto August from Autopatcher August)

The system was running smoothly. I have created 3 accounts in WinXP one as adminstrator and two as Limited Accounts. Everything was running fine. But after about 2 days of the installation the system has a strange problem. The System Boots in WindowsXP and comes till the login screen. Now the system restarts at any time from here... some times is Restarts there at login screen... some times while logging in any of the account... Sometimes while the password is being typed for the User Account... Sometime when the system is fully booted... i have tried System Restore from the Safe Mode.... here also while logging on to the adminstrator account the System Restarted.... i tried again and i was successful in login and start the System Restore.... the system was restored.... i again went to the safe mode and it confirmed that the system was Restore Successfully. The restore point was created after the full installation was completed. But the problem is still there. The system restarts in the same manner without any reason. Last application which was running was Songs on WinAMP 5.1 and the system restart suddenly. After which the system is restart everytime.
    First i suspected that there may be some problem with the SMPS. But Windows 98 SE is working fine and no restarting problem is found there. I cannot understand what should i do.
    I asked one of my friend who told me that he and some of his friends are facing the same problem from about a month. They have intalled the OS by full formatting of the system but still the problem is there. Is this some bug of WinXP SP2 or what. Plz help me... as the system is coming back to me tommorow... and i have to fix it somehow or i would be screwed. PLZ HELP ME!!!

Try a recovery install with the console from the xp cd... do a fixmbr command...
    kevrob1

Peace Go With You...

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Have you checked for bad caps on the mobo?