Thread: athlon 64 3800+ x2

athlon 64 3800+ x2

wow these things are great

I just got mine yesterday along with a DFI lanparty nf4 UT-D mobo...

mannn..

2.5ghz at 1.35vcore.. with like.. no tweaking.

Just set the HTT at 2500 and started her up

BTW this is with the stock cooler... I plan on getting a better cooler, a more stable power supply (this one actually isnt even designed for atx 2.0 form factor ) and some better ram.. (using some junk pc3200 corsair value select).. god its so sweet having this new stuff though, haha.

now to find somethin to do with my old athlon xp...

btw its a CDBHE week 34 if anyone cares.

How much was it?
    It's always nice to get some new hardware.
    I'm also interested in the performance differences between having the 512kb L2 cache and the 1mb L2 cache. Anyone shed some light on that? or point me in the right direction?
    ~illroot

I'd have no clue as far as that goes.. from what I've heard there is barely any difference in most applications (including most benchmarks)

anyway I paid $350 for the chip..

Just ordered some PC4000 ram along with a more stable (as well as compatable.. heh) PSU. A pretty decent cooler too (went with the zalman cnps7000 alcu) I figured i'd get that as I'm very confident it will perform better than the stock cooler while running very quiet and not being very heavy.

Btw I'm running at 2.6ghz now.. this thing is freaky. Also for whatever reason my ram is able to clock at 220 mhz fsb now.. which is very odd.. as with my old setup about 209 mhz was the peak.. same timing.. less voltage. Oh well

Happy days for me.. I really love these X2s...

I got the X2 3800 last week also. Couldn't get it to oc at all till I changed the memory. Seems my old Corsair 3200 XMS is a tad bit tired after 3 years of constant abuse. Threw in a cheapo 512 stick of Patriot for now and started up at 250x10. No problem at all. Been looping 3dMark 05 for 10 hours now and temps are between 39 and 41c on the stock cooler.
    This chip is freaking awsum!!!
    Can't wait to get my Zalman, hope it gets here before the weekend so I can really see what this can do.
    Man, a $900 chip for a third the price? Wow.
    Check this for a compairison of the oc'd 3800 against the 4800, this thing kicks serious booty! http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=229&pid=1
    Last edited by mobo57; 11-03-2005 at 11:36 AM.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Ok, been running at 260x10 for 24 hours, stock voltage. NO PROBLEMS!!!.. I got to tell you guys, this is the Barton 2500 of the Dual Core generation! I can't believe this thing. My bottleneck is my mobo and vid card, got the Asus A8V Deluxe and an ATI X850XT vid card. Should have laid out the extra cash for a SLI mobo, but didn't want to retire the vid card so soon.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com