Thread: After clearing CMOS Compaq Presario 5340 will not boot

After clearing CMOS Compaq Presario 5340 will not boot

The computer just sits there at the COMPAQ splat screen. I have tried F10 to get into the Bios and Compaq Tech Support said to try the Delete key, but that did not work ether. When I turn on the computer I can see that the bios is looking at the harddrive (HDD light comes on). Before all this begain I had installed Windows 2000 and the drives are now NTSF. Before the system had Windows 98 on it.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Pull the battery for 10 mins. then try it again.

you need to eliminate the culprits. disconnect the drives. remove any expansion cards except for the video card.

Thanks for your help, I returned everything back to normal and it then booted. What started this whole mess was I noticed that the FSB frequency was fluctuating. I read that clearing the CMOS might normalize it so to speak. Will it did not work. This is an old machine: K6-3 400 at 472.5MHz (105 x 4.5), very stable. It has 384 Meg of ram and runs Windows 2000 great. I’m using Sandra and CPU-Z to measure the frequency and I’m wondering if maybe I should try some other programs. Does anyone have any idea as to some other programs I could try to measure the FSB and the CPU frequencies?

The FSB is always fluctuating a little bit. I think you're worrying about nothing. CPUZ is probably the best CPU only diag.

It is fluctuating a lot, all the way to 0 sometimes. Very strange, I have never seen a motherboard do this before. That is why I was looking to compair the programs I am using now to some other programs.

whoa. ok. a few mhz is normal, but something is wacky. that is a really old system, so it could be the psu or mb going bad.

I downloaded WCPUID and it reports the FSB and the CPU running at the correct frequencies. I do not understand why Sandra and PCPitstop.com report the FSB at next to nothing. Very strange! Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?