Thread: SiS Motherboard

SiS Motherboard

I'm working on a computer with a SiS 630/730 motherboard, with AMD Duron,MMX 3D Nox 900MHz processor. So my question is would anyone know what type of chip set this board would have? So I could install the proper AGP video card. The BIOS should a reference to chip 730 Rev 31. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

If it has an AGP slot, any modern AGP card should work. All Athlon/Duron chipsets supported at least AGP4x.

Ultimate Member
    There are no SiS mainboards.

You do have the SiS 730S chipset there, which is known to be not quite so compatible on its AGP port as you might expect. Later revisions of the chip improved things a bit, but it's never gotten to perfect plug&go quality.

The most popular board with the chipset was the PC-Chips M810. You might want to google around a bit.

Ow. An SiS 730 on a no name board, probably PC Chips? That's like walking into a bug factory. Like Peter said, google it, maybe you can find some lore on what kinds of cards it likes, but if it were me I'd rather just shoot it and get something reliable like, say, an nForce4 chipset on an ASUS board.
    Last edited by Izdaari; 10-17-2005 at 03:07 AM.

I saw a bunch of ECS 735 "AGP compatibility issues" fixed by using better RAM or better power supplies. 730 is just a 735 with video added.

Ultimate Member
    No it isn't. The substantial difference from 735 (which is very much completely free of AGP compatibility issues) to 730S is that the latter also supports "companion" boards in the AGP slot. These aren't actual graphics cards, they use an alternate port mode to connect to the 730S internal VGA engine, making it dualhead.

Possibly due to this extra feature, the AGP port on the 730S chipset has never become really perfectly AGP compliant. Later chipset revisions and BIOS tweaks made it better, but never actually good.