Thread: reads from 256 to 128 mb pc133 memory ??

reads from 256 to 128 mb pc133 memory ??

I have 2 abit mobo's. BE6 (p3 500) w/ win ME & BX6(p2 400)w/win xp, both of them are reading 128mb only when I installed one stick of 256 mb pc133 sdram (centon brand).

when I right click properties, its only registered as 128 mb of ram? what do I need to correct this? thx in advance

note: I used this ram in my other pc w/ abit KA7 mobo & it reads fine.... 256mb on the ram.

btw ,its a non ecc, unbuffered module 168 pin ,centon brand.

I don't know exactly what problem you are experiencing Roy Wilkins, but I guess your Abit BE6 and Abit BX6 does not support 256MB PC133 RAM modules and prefers two 128MB PC133 RAM modules to get up to 256MB of RAM or you can buy and try a double-sided 256MB PC133 RAM module if you can and see if it does the trick. The Abit KA7 you got there is a bit newer than the two other Abit boards you also have.

abit BE6 supports 768mb memory w/ 3 sockets & abit BX6 v2 supports 1 gig memory w/4 sockets, thats mean 256ram minimum in each socket.

I have intension of getting 256 ram @stick for these mobo..thx

I'm all confused about your problem now Roy Wilkins, but good luck to you!

The problem with your board is that it does not recognize high density RAM chips.

You need to return that ram and buy a stick with low density ram chips (double sided). This was a very common problem with boards in that era.
    -- Mathias

You are attempting to install high density SDRAM in a board whose chipset supports only low density SDRAM. A low density 256MB DIMM must have 16 chips on it. The DIMM you are using, obviously has only 8 chips on it.

oic,
    so how do I know a module Im going to buy has 16 chips, any identification in the module? thx

DIMM and chip markings are not standardized. If you are not going to buy it "used" from a computer "Buy, Sell and Trade" forum like the one we have here, then you would be best advised to buy from Crucial. They will get you the right stuff.
    The advantage of buying through a forum is that you can always ask the seller to count the chips.
    http://sysopt.earthweb.com/forum/for...?s=&forumid=14
    http://www.crucial.com

Ultimate Member
    You need DIMMs that feature RAM chips that are no larger than 128 megabits, "16Mx8" technology. Today's popular DIMMs have 256- or even 512-megabit chips (eight or four chips for 256 megabytes), which is beyond the old 440BX's largest supported RAM chip size.

Buy from a recognized supplier, and specify "16Mx8 technology" or just plain "Intel BX compatible".

this question has been posted many times on this forum.

most manufacturers will use PC100 compatible as an indicator that it is low density, although that is technically inaccurate. if it says PC133 ONLY, then that usually means higher density chips.

Check your PMs Roy

Many thanks for all the people here & I will check PM, temptunz..thx again