Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Posse Cometatus Act

Posse Cometatus Act

Do you think that Bush should use the military for disaster control, particularly for riot control and looters? I say it's a violation of the Posse Cometatus Act which prohibits the national military from any police powers over civilians. I guess He is going to singlehandedly rewrite the constitution and bill of rights before he's out on the dole.

Quote Originally Posted by ukulele
    Do you think that Bush should use the military for disaster control, particularly for riot control and looters? I say it's a violation of the Posse Cometatus Act which prohibits the national military from any police powers over civilians. I guess He is going to singlehandedly rewrite the constitution and bill of rights before he's out on the dole.

I've been telling people this guy is a Nazi...but nooooooo everyone thinks I'm wrong for disagreeing with him....

So ukulele, you'd rather have your home ripped off of everything you own
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

must've been something new he learnt at school today

It's got nothing to do with getting your house ripped off. Why do you think we hire police? Where do you draw the line anyway? If we continue to standby idly while our civil rights are in jeopardy once again, then I guess we don't deserve the privilege of self rule. Actually considering the level of the average post here lately which seems to be poo poo, doo doo, wee wee, and kitty cats, I guess this was the wrong place to post a question of serious national importance. Oh, and Porsch, unlike you, I can actually read. It was in the news on CNN, so STFU.

I agree the military should not be put in. There should be a system to pull other police from around the country. The military could play a support role, ie delivering food, supplies, etc.

I think Americans have grown naive about thier freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by mireland
    I've been telling people this guy is a Nazi...but nooooooo everyone thinks I'm wrong for disagreeing with him....
    Come on, Mireland, surely you are smarter then that. Bush is no Hitler. He is just a rich Ivy league frat boy who owes a lot of favors. He is just not well educated enough about the constitution and the Bill of Rights to be the Commander in Chief. He will muck it up through sheer ignorance. Just because he has no clue of how freedom and democracy works does not make him a totalitarian dictator. Me thinks you need some schooling up too.

Whose civil rights are you concerned about? Yours or the looters?

And what difference does it make whose doing the protecting as long as the job is getting done?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones
    Whose civil rights are you concerned about? Yours or the looters?

And what difference does it make whose doing the protecting as long as the job is getting done?
    I am concerned about my civil rights, and I suggest you do too before it's too late. As for "who is doing the protecting", it's not protecting your property if "das boot" takes away your guns and tells you that you have to evacuate like it or not.

Now let me ask you a few questions, why are we paying for a state organized militia (the national guard) who's responsibility is already to provide police support in emergencies when they are all over in Iraq? Do you know that the national guard is comprised of mostly family men who are part time soldiers? Why are they half way around the world fighting a war and now our president want's to use the reguler army for domestic matters? Do you see a pattern emerging?

Once the military is able to police the civilians we have a problem. If you have not noticed it is what most of the dictators used to keep thier people in line. This is really a slippery slope aguement. Just because we use them for this does not mean that they will be used later for other bad porposes.

It is the fact that it is a barrier that needs to be inplace to keep the power balance. In the last eight years many of these barriers have come down that protect us. Each one in and of itself means nothing. Add them all up and we might have a problem. Not that this means that the Gov is going to do something. It means if they wanted to it would be much easier. Nazi Germany introduced a document that is much like the patriot act before it changed.

There is medication you can take to help reduce the systems of paranoia

lol, I agree it does seem far fetched and I do not think the goverment is going to try to pull something. Then again the rules were set up that way to protect us. What makes you think though is that soon we may have a majority of judges in the Supreme Court that think we have as civilians have too many rights.

Well the judges are appointed by "elected" people so anythings possible....

Quote Originally Posted by ukulele
    Oh, and Porsch, unlike you, I can actually read. It was in the news on CNN, so STFU.

What it got to do with reading if you saw it on CNN? Or do CNN have a newspaper in Hawaii?

Well the judges are appointed by "elected" people so anythings possible....
    Elected people??
    We argue about hanging chads & due to legal wrangling in a predominantly one party state those votes aren't counted? So long as it was apparent who they were voting for it shouldn't have been an issue. Who cares if the little piece of paper came off? I'll tell you who. The side that would have lost. The side that uses religion to deny representation to certain people. The doo gooder Nazis.

As to uke not liking the use of federal troops I agree. However since the national guard is so overwhelmed in a war they shouldn't be involved in I don't see that we had much choice. I would like to think someone is going to preserve order & civility, my property etc. I agree we have lost many freedoms due to the patriot act & the so called war on terror. Sadly in a sense they won.

There is medication you can take to help reduce the systems of paranoia
    It's not paranoia if they are really out to get you.