Thread: ATI Crossfire Reviews

Ultimate Member
    My only gripe with crossfire.... You must use an ATI chipset

What this says to us is that if you want to avoid any problems and make sure installation is as smooth as possible, make sure you perform a complete uninstall of the drivers first. Then install the driver with both video cards installed in the motherboard so it will initialize the video cards in the correct order.
    You also need to have the cards in the right slot. The slot closest to the CPU is the SECONDARY card, which is also use for a single card config.

So far the Crossfire seems weaker than Nvidia's SLI, but at least Nvidia isn't the only game in town when it comes to this.

A little competition is good.

I didn't like Toms review for this one. It seemed clear to me that Nvidia had "won." Yet they pushed crossfire like it was quite acceptable. *shrug*

Ultimate Member
    I thought it was pretty close. SLI won some, Crossfire won some with SLI having a slight edge. However, it is important to note that the nVidia side was using a 7800GTX vs an X850XT PE on the ATI side. A single 7800GTX is faster than a signle X850XT PE so it would make sense that two of them would also be faster than 2 X850XT PE's.

Quote Originally Posted by RamonGTP
    I thought it was pretty close. SLI won some, Crossfire won some with SLI having a slight edge. However, it is important to note that the nVidia side was using a 7800GTX vs an X850XT PE on the ATI side. A single 7800GTX is faster than a signle X850XT PE so it would make sense that two of them would also be faster than 2 X850XT PE's.

Took the words out of my mouth....

The 7800 GTX should be trouncing the X850XT. It will be interesting to seet eh R520 core running in Crossfire....

At least once the R520 comes out Crossfire will start looking better with mature drivers (maybe) and not being stuck to 16x12 by going to twin DVI's per port. As of now, this was pushed out just to make good on an upgrade path promise more than anything - this wasn't done for anything other than that I imagine.

Hopefully nvidia will fix the shimmering on the 7800 on it's refresh or ATi has a solid product with the R520 - although now I'm not really looking at upgrading like I was before. Spending money on this after all that's happened down here now just seems rather trivial - what I have now works, and that is now enough to have me more than content.