Thread: Best Spam Stopper?

Best Spam Stopper?

I have been asked for my input on what anti spam software to buy. Spam is not a problem for me as I avoid Microsoft products. My email and browser offer a good deal of immunity. The person who asked my advice can not be weaned off MS. They are not and don't want to be computer literate. What is the best anti spam software they can buy that works in the background without too much user input?
    "nothing you do for children is ever wasted" Keillor

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    The best anti-spam and anti-virus method is to never connect to the internet, never transfer files using a floppy, CD, or jump drive, and then only save the files to the local drive.

Face the facts, spam will outlive the World.

The best spam blocker for the average ignorant user? MailWasher:

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Best hands-off:

http://www.mailfrontier.com/products_matador.html
    MS MCP, MCSE

A decent mail provider.
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

I have a decent mail provider but still get a half dozen or so spams a week that I filter out. They can't get them all.

Sorry, I work for a mail provider so I get kind of mad when people are still dealing with spam when there is so much you can do to stop it at the provider level. Half a dozen a *month* is almost acceptable.
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

I've found that characters like - or _ help a little bit.
    Spam is computer generated email a lot of the time, sometimes you get it from supposed friends that put you on mailing lists or joke lists, when you sign up for something that's fishy...or when you post your email address on a public place or forum.
    That being said...ever since I beta tested Outlook 2003, it's done great for me with the junk mail folder. Before that...I used Mail Matador per BiPolarBill's suggestion...it was pretty good.

Sensible use and being careful who/where you give it help a bit. I have a gmail account that I use anytime I think it might end up on a spam list...

The few that I get are usually pharmaceutically related or stock advice. I never used to get any; but some of the people that send me mail leave everything out in the open and I must've gotten on some lists. Ironically; I don't get any spam on my hotmail sign-up account that I use for suspect sites.
    Working for a provider would be a bit of a challenge to try and get as much filtered out as possible without filtering out solicited mail; wouldn't it?
    People don't really appreciate the effort being made by their providers. My hats off to you and your employer CompGeek01.
    Last edited by cdroman; 09-20-2005 at 08:41 PM.

i Like Symantec Antivirus for Gateways
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5