Thread: Only part of a readprocessmemory or writeprocessmemory was completed

Only part of a readprocessmemory or writeprocessmemory was completed

Okay, so this morning I installed another 512mb ram in my MSI K7N2 Delta-L mobo, leaving me with 2x512mb Crucial DDR400 dimms and 1x512mb DDR333 Crucial dimm running at 388mhz; no problems there.

However, since booting up with my new ram, every time I try to access my CDRW or DVD drives, I get the following error after a while:

"Only part of a readprocessmemory or writeprocessmemory was completed"

Having googled it the only advice I could really find relevant was to set them to PIO mode, something I wasn't keen on, but tried anyway - to no avail.

In "My computer" it recognises which CDs are in the drives, and will let me "open" them, but I can't access anything. setup.exe on BF:Vietnam CD1 comes up as "not a valid win32 application" - there's nothing wrong with any of my CDs either.

In the device manager everything is listed as working properly and is set to DMA mode 2 and I have no idea what to try next.

Any advice greatly appreciated,
    too_much

Oh, running XP Pro with SP2, XP2500+, 6600GT etc etc.
    Eh?

You need to disable dual-channel in BIOS setup now since you have an imbalance.

Have you updated your BIOS?

Are you overclocking?
    MS MCP, MCSE

I don't see anything relating to dual channel in the bios, and as far as I know I never set it up; I just had the dimms in the dual channel slots for the sake of tidiness on my mobo.

I've just updated my bios to the latest one but still no luck, and yeah I'm overclocking - currently XP2500+ @ 2200mhz (200x11). Standard and boring, but tried and true

Tomorrow morning I'm gona try a repair install of XP, because I'm having a few odd little problems lately. I've checked, checked, and checked some more, and I have no viruses, worms, spyware, adware, or anything else that could cause this, so I'm kinda out of ideas...
    Eh?

I would run memtest overnight before bothering with a repair install..if your mem is having problems, re-installing windows won't fix much of anything. If it fails memtest, I would take out the odd DDR333 stick and try again, I suspect thats what is causing your problems.

Okay well I'll give that a go tonight while I'm at work - I've never had any problems with it before though; it's always run at 200mhz without a single problem (I lowered it to 190 or so recently when lowering my vcore as temperatures were struggling a little, but that's sorted at it's back to 200 again).

Game performance is sweet, everthing else seems ok, it's just this optical drive problem... I really hope my ram isn't knackered as 1.5gb is a nice amount when you have as little money to spare as me! I thought it might be a problem with one of the Windows system files, like the ones that tell the drives how to work etc (can you tell I'm not a techy? ;D).

I need to reformat soon anyway, it's been 3 months now and generally I format every 6 to 8 weeks as I find that no matter how many defrags, registry repairs etc you do, you always get to a point where a reformat is the best medicine.

Anyway, memtest it is - I'll get back to you on it.

Much appreciated,
    too_much
    Eh?