Thread: Speed Fan

Speed Fan

I just wanted to ask a question about speed fan if anybody can help me out.

I have an Abit IC7 motherboard running an Intel P4 3.0Ghz Northwood

In the bios it says
    System Fan Speed Zero
    CPU Fan Speed 2343 rpm
    CPU temp 69C or 156F
    Sys temps 27C or 80F

But Speed Fan Says :

Fan 1 2,411 rpm Temp1 = 28C
    Fan 2 5,625 rpm Temp2 = 63C

Speed 1 and 2 are set on 90%

Question Is which one is right ? Bios or SpeedFan

And is Fan1 the CPU or the Northbridge Fan 28c seem low temp for the CPU 2me
    I have seen Fan 2 get up to 73 or 81 Untill a small amount of load , like from running windows anti-virus

Thanks for your views

Mike

They are both right. As I understand it SpeedFan merely looks at reading given by the bios. Your CPU fan might increase under load causing more cooling. But both temperatures are merely estimates.

If you are going for a certain performance gain, choose which of the two you'll look at and just look at trends along that line. You'd need a separate diode between the heatsink and proc for an accurate measurement.

Fan 1 would be Northbridge, Fan 2 would be CPU.

I would say that fan 2 is a smaller fan, as larger fans usually spin slower and small fans, faster!

Speedfan has to be configured correctly or the readings will be inaccurate! you need to be certain that the correct chip type is selected. It's sometimes easier to use the manufacturers own diagnostic utility to find the correct averages, then set up your 3rd party monitor from that.

Just about all modern Motherboards have a diode beneath the CPU socket, I believe P4's have one in the die too - maybe that is where the high readings are coming from???

Motherboard Monitor is better than most other temp\fan monitors if you can find a plugin for your particular motherboard! Give the website a try. MBM

BTW: Your CPU seems to be running a little on the warm side for a Northwood! It may be you need to re-apply your thermal paste.

hiya and thanks for the replys

And that temperature has alwas been that high , i reapplied artic silver5 the other week and cleaned the die properly and its now / still running hot at about 61c
    and im using a zalaman cpu cooler super flower cooler.

I dont really know what else 2do to get the temps down

goodnite

Mike