Thread: HP 7210 All-In-One: Readout displays "Scanner Failure"

HP 7210 All-In-One: Readout displays "Scanner Failure"

We purchased a HP 7210 all-in-one from NewEgg and put it in service last Friday and all was working just fine.

Now, the LCD readout shows: Scanner Failure. Cycle Power and try scanning again. The unit will not perform ANY functions now.

We have tried this including unplugging the Power Supply from the back of the unit for 60 seconds.

This is a BRAND NEW unit.

Any suggestions? It is plugged directly into the wall and is not sharing the outlet with any other devices.

EDITED TO ADD: We have not attempted to use the scan function and do not currently need this function. The unit is primarily used for making copies and to send/receive faxes.

Ultimate Member
    Try completely uninstalling the Driver Software, unplug the printer, both Power
    & USB Cables ... Reboot the PC ... Reinstall the Driver Software exactly following
    the Steps it says either in the Owner's Manual or on the Screen .. on some printers
    when you install the Software, you Do Not Connect the USB Cable until told to do so
    by the installation software

As to your primary use of making copies & sending faxes, this Can Not be done
    unless the Scanner is also functioning ... That's how the machine gets the image
    being copied or faxed .. One other thing to check before reinstalling software is
    the Scanner Lock ... usually a small lever on the back of the unit ....
    Does the unit stilll Print ?

Check this url from HP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...0267530#N10297

If the Scanner Lamp Does Not Light, then it is bad & the whole unit should be
    replaced by Newegg, since you just got it & it should be under Warrranty

I've got an easy one - RMA it - you shouldn't be getting "failure errors" from a brand new unit and newegg is a great company to do business with.

Scanner failure is usually a calibration error. I would get it exchanged.

Return it. As said before, this is a new unit and you shouldn't be getting errors off it.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.

Good suggestion ... I've never had to RMA anything with NewEgg after 3 years of ordering items from them just about every week. But, I've heard nothing but great things about them ... and now I have a RMA and am sending it back for a replacement.

Keep your fingers crossed ... that the next 7210 all-in-one doesn't end up exhibiting the same exact problem! If so ... HP will be getting a call and a letter.

yea newegg is very good about rma,they charge you shiping and 15 per cent.good deal for them(15 per for returning somthing.this is a very bussness run co.,thro i buy from them be awere of them
    Bruce

For all those folks finding this thread when searching for the:

HP 7210 or 7310 OfficeJet All-In-One

Please do a Google search as well as review actual "user's" reviews of both of these models on Amazon.com prior to purchasing. You will notice a LOT of issues and quality control problems with both models. Even though the magazine reviews and other types of reviews are generally very high, actual user experience says otherwise.

I did exchange my 7210 for another new 7210 via a RMA with NewEgg.com. However, the next two all-in-one machines I purchased are the Canon Pixma MP780's which also has high reviews ... but had fewer negative "user" reviews found on Google and Amazon.com.

Woodcycl-

HP's All-In-One units are sometimes very cumbersome and it is not unusual for you to get one that had such a failure. Remember that most of these units are manufactured in China where they are into mass production and not into quality control! I hear of all these quality control issues with the Made in China items since they have a cheap labor force which are paid very minimum wages.

Remember that good old saying, "you get what you pay for", and that is specially true when it comes to cheaply manufactured goods! Your decision to purchase the Canon brand "All-In-Ones" in the future is a good one since I think they have a much better level of quality control.

LPTECH
    Last edited by lptech; 10-01-2005 at 09:43 AM.

I've seen this error on two different HP printers in the last few weeks. #1 cause is not enough electricity - should plug it in directly to the wall socket. #2 cause is a faulty scanner bulb...
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

i bought 7210 and it did the same i exchange it for a 7310 and this one works(thro only 2 days old)so i am hoping
    Bruce