Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stupid router or stupid user??

Quote Originally Posted by omendata
    No u poo pooed Upnp and SSDP - Its the easiest way to get port forwarding to wrok without the hassle hes going thru!

My fault too i was in a real bad mood this morning
    Girlfriend problems!
    . . .
    Peace dude!
    Just when you post something know a bit about it before you discard it - I was tryin to help the guy along and u interrupted thats all!
    OK - Didn't know you were still trying to help him; I couldn't tell from your post prior to his. I figured the mood had to come from a bad day, or something like that. Having been married over 16 years, I've determined that women are a lot more complicated than computers.

On UPnP: I'll be darned. That kind of tells you about the quality of NetGear's documentation (at the time). When I had my RP614v1, the feature was so inadequately described in the manual (and online) that I figured: here's a potential security hole - that I did not bother with it at all. Now I'm curious to see if IPCOP has something like it.

Ya learn something new everyday.

This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Ok then omendata seeing as you hate hand holding and thought i would have tried harder (which was insulting) , you still havent offered ANY help that is useful to my problem. All you did was have a go at sumone else who in fact was entirely more helpful than you and at least took the time to write out more than 2 lines.

I asked what Upnp was BUT THAT WASNT the problem. To let you know i dont post messages for things i cant be bothered to look into. I throughly look. Those links dont answer the problems with portforwarded FTP and PTP clients being locked out and UPnP says its for multiple machines sharing an application. I already can play games over a lan. My post also clearly indicates this was used on a single machine. Netgears own website advises you dont need UPnP for a single machine using single applications AND so did tech support. I have posted on 4 forums and netgears own forum and spoken to tech support. I also know 4 people with netgear router who dont have same problem and who didnt enable UPnP on their system either...and these were new builds!! What more do you expect before you will "hand hold" , or maybe just dont bother next time.

For the love of GOD why wont this work?

These problems are VERY hard to troubleshoot thanks to the proliferation of firewalls, spyware apps and bloated antivirus programs which include rudimentary (read "lame") firewalls. Add to this the inclusion of a basic Windows firewall and you have a real soup that defies step-by-step breakdown. None of us want to hand-hold another person through this minefield. You can fault omendata for being blunt, but he's just saying what the rest of us are thinking but are afraid to say.

What you really need to do is try another PC on your router to see if the problem is reproducable. If it isn't, Windows is pooched and needs a fresh install.

Oh - if you are running the nVidia hardware firewall (standard on many new motherboards and a real beotch!), uninstall it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I think youve actually answered your own question - STUPID USER!!!
    You were correct first time round!

What 2 liners?
    I tried to give you in depth solutions taking you from basic!
    You have bought a cheapo device and are trying to do somehting with it which you have no knowledge of - if you had spent a bit more cash instead of being a cheapo you wouldnt have the problems u have now!

UPNP & SSDP are the easiest and quickest way to sort the problem!
    The links I gave would have helped but u obviously cant read more than a few lines!
    I doubt you've even done any research into the problem myself and are relying on the goodwill of the most excellent techs round here to do your durty work for u! Which incidentally we do out of the goodness of our hearts and time!
    Cheers

Isolating the issue first as Bill says was also suggested!

None of which you have bothered to do!

STUPID USER WHO WONT LISTEN!
    SO WHATS THE POINT IN TRYING TO HELP U!
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Whoa, whoa! Please, let's lighten up, everyone. We're supposed to be helping each other out, right? I don't think anyone's being intentionally dense or unhelpful.

Rather, I think problem that Hoola poses may be more a matter of asking the question in the right place. His original post should have given us a clue:

if i use any downloading client (azerues, limewire ect) then all is ok at first. Now if i shutdown azerues, and say open another program, do sumthing else for 10 mins then restart azerues i get NAT errors and sumtime it wont connect at all. This happens everytime but only on downloading software. Interent is always ok, messenger ok ect just these downloading clients.
    Hoola suspected that the problem may be hardware-related (those cheap Netgears! ) It could still very well be, but it could also be related to the software itself. I'm not a LimeWire or other torrent-based P2P user, but scanning through the Limewire forums here it looks as though these applications have their own odd behaviours that pop up from time to time, depending on the hardware that's in play. Who knows? It could be a UPnP implementation glitch in these applications.

Hoola, maybe the right place to ask is the LimeWire or Azureus (cripes, I have a hard time spelling that) forums, to see if there's something peculiar with Netgears. I searched the above link for "Netgear" and uncovered a few tantalizing posts.

Hope this helps, and maybe you can find a solution that might help other RP614 owners too. Good luck buddy!

P.S. One more thing: maybe Netgears may be considered inexpensive in the UK, but here in the U.S., there *was* a slight price premium over other brands. This, of course, assures the casual consumer that THIS IS COOL... oh well!
    Last edited by rusty4x4; 09-16-2005 at 04:34 PM.

Very diplomatic rusty!

Yeah Netgears are probably the cheapest of all brands here and have a very very bad reputation - their hubs are ok but anything else is a bit of a lottery and their tech support is legendary! UPNP is between the OS and Hardware not the App!

Naw if the guy aint gonna try anything we suggest whats the point!
    As u say might be the p2p package but when you have two apps or more that have the problem its better to rule out the simplest stuff first before trying to analyse packet headers , port filtering , OS issues ETC! If he tried it on the other pc as was suggested that would rule everything out except the router and we could have concentrated on the problem in depth! In IT as with women it usually always comes down to the simplest of things - ie cable , bum looking big in this , stupid user - you get my drift!

You come to this thread omendata with an agreesive attitude and been antagonistic to myself and another and you are still spouting your nonsense? You havent help this post or query along by posting anything other than insults based on your assumptions that i didnt try anything and didnt bother reading anything. You honestly think people go about buying computers only they have learnt everything about them just like you said about my purchase of a router? You havent come across helpful in the slightest and it would be nice if you would stop intruding where your "help" is not required

rusty4x4 and Bill, the router was hooked up to another machine on the same provider (no firewalls, spyware apps or AV on this machine), and tried it on another machine with with a differnet provider (BT), All router setting were put to default and portforwarded an FTP client, MSN messenger and Limewire and on both once the comp was restarted it would not connect and got time outs. Limewire would connect but only after 3 or 4 mins. Also many times i found i could not log on to the routers setting page, the routerlogin.net page would keep directing me to www.netgear.com and would only log on once the router was switched off and on again. More from the netgear forums show that the RP614 routers are causing problems with timeouts and random disconnects and there are no postings about any solutions. Many of the posts rusty4x4 relate to clients like azerues and limewire and there are no solutions posted and many posts remain unanswered. Seems as though its a live and learn situation with netgear.

Bill seeing as there is no viable solution here besides it being the router itself, maybe good idea to close this post to avoid it getting off topic
    For the love of GOD why wont this work?

I would swap the router for another brand and cut my losses.
    MS MCP, MCSE