Thread: laptop keeps typing n's

laptop keeps typing n's

I have a friend with an older Compaq laptop, that won't allow him to do anything becasue it's like the "n" key is stuck.

Every folder that begins with the letter N will constantly flash, not allowing you to click on anything. We tried getting to device manager to disable the keyboard, but cant get to that either.

Could a virus be causing this or is it more then likely a bad keyboard? Not sure how to remove this keyboard. I guess it should somehow just lift up, and we can unplg it, but cant find how to get it out

anyone know how to remove the keyboard form a Presario 2100 laptop? I was able to get to device manager and uninstalled keyboard driver, but that really didn't do much. I was hoping to remove the keyboard and try an external one.

I would think it somehow pops out, but dont want to force it if there is more to it

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219.pdf

Its common for something to get under the key and cause it to stick . I would consider that before I would condemn the KB entirely.

I had this problem with my laptop keyboard, it was just sticking, remove the key and clean around it if this is not possible use a cotton bud.

Ends up it's not the keyboard at all. I took the keyboard out, rebooted and the problem was still there. Just keeps typing 'n's and all the icons that start with N keep flashing. Is there a virus that could cause this?

I guess next step will be to reformat and see if it's the OS or something with hardware

A virus is always a possiblity . I would think if you can access the bios setup without any issues , then I'd say you have a software issue , meaning Windows or a virus is the problem. If not , then my guess is the KB Controller or motherboard has a problem. If you can enable USB Keyboard support , you might get things working again with a USB KB .

*Make sure your using the power adapter and not using the battery to power the system.
    Last edited by Rocketmech; 09-11-2005 at 03:33 PM.

"I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson