Thread: Internet Email access

Internet Email access

Hi Folks

I am newbie in networking, I have got a slight problem with my internet access..... My ISP kept my internet about 2 days before they release it. After they released the connection only two of computers can access internet as well as email. funny enough is that all my machines get their ip addresses from dhcp server... and I have cheked the machines that acess the internet that there is no difference in ip assignment.....the last thing is my machine is running as the link from my adsl router thatb simply means if my machine goes down then nobody can access the internet... it is by the way working fine on my machine and one other computer in my network.....I am running 22 machines and one file server

Is that "adsl router" really a router or is it just a modem? If it is a router then the other machines should be plugging into it and getting DHCP srvices from it instead of your computer If it is just a modem, then you should buy a router to place between the modem and the client computers.
    Tell us a little more about your configuration. What is the model name and # of the "adsl router"?

Get a router with a firewall!!!

You have a bad single point of failure and a security hazard if its as it seems!
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

If it is a Modem Only you need a Router.

If it a Combo Modem/Router, try to set it to new a Modem Only and get a standalone Router, and change your Network Topology to a real peer to peer.
    The Router part in the Combos SUX.

About DSL Authentication: DSL Routers and PPPOE.