Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you guys suggest me good Spyware killer and a good firewall??

Can you guys suggest me good Spyware killer and a good firewall??

for the spyware, I'm using Spybot and Ad-Aware, and for the firewall, I was thinking about using ZoneAlarm

Btw I want free programs
    Mr.Cow ^..^

Windows version please.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Spyware Doctor found items that Spybot and Adaware didn't. It's free also.

Microsoft AntiSpyware works great for me.

Then again, I haven't had a ny major spyware infections lately, so I don't know how well it is at getting spyware out and keeping it out.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by druggas
    Spyware Doctor found items that Spybot and Adaware didn't. It's free also.
    yeah, but you hafta pay to get rid of the detected things

Trend Micro....They are on MS's list right at the top. That is what I have.....

Go to their site and get the full package. You can use the trial version for 90 days and everything is their and updates also. ( package includes Firewall,popupcontrol,Url filter,and the anti virus porgram, and a few other total package protection menu adjustments... )

Ad Aware Personal SE or Ad Aware Pro. The personal version is free and you can get it at MajorGeeks.com as one site to check it out. Also.., get Spybot there also while your at it.

Other prorgrams to use are SpywareBlaster ( one ofthe better utilites that run in the background an dguard against intruders ), and Spyware Doctor
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 09-12-2005 at 02:53 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

For freeware firewalls, I've used 3: Sygate, Tiny, and ZA. All are adequate, two-way firewalls, but of the 3, I like Sygate. Use it with AVG, Adaware and SpywareBlaster. Webroot's SpySweeper is an excellent payware product. Microsoft also has their Beta Anti-Spyware program that is free but timed.

If you do use a firewall program, remember to turn OFF the Windows XP SP2 Firewall to avoid conflicts.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Is it just me that has a Hardware firewall ?

Feelin left out here

Its just you J.M. I know that from since days long gone by.. hardware firewalls have been out ...but most of these normal gamer types and young geeks here probably don't have a need for one.
    I think they are meant for your personal computer protection ..so that nobody can break into your overall system and use your computer ( decriptions and whatever ). Most just want internet protection...

After what I have read lately and the way the world is cjhanging with the spyware andhackers and virues,worms,and the like , I have gotten more skeptical about freeware ones... I bet forsome of them..you might not et the latest updates for what is going on today for three days or more down the road.

Prevention is the best medicine...
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    Prevention is the best medicine...
    W0t like leave the ferker switched off?

i have hardware firewall to so your not alone

Mr Cow, noone here really has an answer for you due to the amout of choice. Everyone here has their own opinions from free vs paid for and for Microsoft vs smaller companies.

At the end of the day they all are opinions and suggestions only. 1 person will hate the scanner than another loves. The stickies on this forum list all the apps and say which ones are free to. Experiminatation is best way.

NB u can have more than 1 or 2 spyware scanners installed. (not anti virus)
    Run them and see what they pick up

These are my suggestions

Spyware blaster
    Adaware
    Pest patrol
    Giant antispyware
    Spybot search and destroy

with these installed and all protections enabled you wont get any problems. It is overkill yes but waht u want is resident protection to which GIANT and Spyware blaster offer (spybots resident protect and teatimer is useless - has less than a third of the signatures than GIANT)

Again this is opinions only but all the suggestions here should cover pretty much what is out there available to you

gl

For the love of GOD why wont this work?

does adaware and spybot take up resources,

i use service pack 2 firewall nav antivirus 2003 and microsoft antispyware
    i dont have problems ever and i also manually remove any "threats"

but if the adaware and spybot combo work fine under win xp im willing to try

Cheers!~

I use a hardware firewall and Zone Alarm Pro on each machine. Belt & Braces

I also use Adaware Pro, Spybot S&D and a bucket load of vigilance & Common sense.

Wildstallion_X - Any program uses resources, some use more than others.

SP2 firewall provides inbound protection only and offers no control for outgoing connections. It’s very lame but its better than nothing at all.
    As for Norton…. Well we won’t go there again
    Last edited by Kandar; 09-15-2005 at 01:00 PM.

Ad Aware and Spybot do *not* use any resources until you actually start them. MS Antispyware, Counterspy, Spy Sweeper, PestPatrol and Spyware Doctor run all the time and use resources.
    MS MCP, MCSE