Thread: tape library not seen by OS

tape library not seen by OS

this is running on a win 2k server

We have a Comapq SSL2020 tape library attached to a Compaq N1200 network storage router through SCSI. We started to see that during the backup jobs we'd lose connectvity between the SSL and the MSA1000 SAN controller. it was attached to through the N1200. I installed veritas SP3 onto the server to try and resolve the problem with the backup jobs not running, they would just be queued and never run after the disconnection happened three days in a row. I also installed the latest device drivers at the same time. Once this happened the library was offline and wasn't coming back online. I then followed instructions on how to remove the device from veritas and tried to reinstall the device. I have not been able to re-install the driver since the SSL2020 is no longer seen by Windows. I have uninstalled verits expecting it to remove the drivers so that the SSL2020 can be seen by the OS again. I checked to see if the N1200 can see the SSL2020 and it recognizes the library along with both drives inside.
    "G-g-g-g Guess whos back? D-Twizze!, O-Twizzie! Doc-Twizzie!, Shady-Twizzie!, slash Aftermath! Fiftycent!, G Unit!, Here we go!, Free Yayo! Muthaf'r!, Benzino!, They don't know we finna' blow! Someone betta' tell them so..." D12 - Loyalty
    "Instead of war on poverty they got a war on drugs//so the police can bother me" Tupac - Changes

We use Compaq servers with a Quantum Powerstor L200. When we experienced an issue like your we had to RMA our device. In our case it was caused by the Tape Library controller. The SCSI simply didn't see it.

I would start by changing the cable and verfying power (no bad UPS). Does your SCSI card see the device at boot? Does windows see the SCSI controller?

Our device does not use drivers. It is recognized on the SCSI chain and Arcserve uses the device with internal programming.
    -- Mathias