Thread: Ram Question

Ram Question

Im not sure if my motherboard will take dual channel ddr , I think it will only take 2700 ram . I have a 1.5 gig of cheap 2700 ddr in my computer, and I bought this ram for new egg to sqeak a llittle more performance out of my Xp 2500+ barton system. It seems to be reviewed as a good overclocker, what do you think. Im trying to oc my system, which is now oc to A 2800+ with ram at 333 mhz fsb to 3000+ a 400 mhz bus or more. Here is the ram think.http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...asterid=703772
    its Kingston Hyperx

Thx Tom P.S I don't think my system will work to well with ddr 3200 it lists it will only take one stick, and lists very few compatable types. Heres the board I have. The manual conflicts with the web site. The sites says it takes 2 dimms but the manual say 1 dimm Hummm.
    Last edited by TomT; 09-08-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Hummm...... a few imbeded questions you have there. First, what mobo do you have?
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

This looks interesting.

Main Memory
    • Supports up to four memory banks using three 184-pin DDR SDRAMs.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

You've got a board that supports up to 333 FSB. You've got RAM that supports the same speed.
    You can probably squeeze an extra 5% or so more performance out of that combo...maybe.

I would leave everything out of the box stock for now. When you really want to overclock and get more performance...you should upgrade the CPU, Mobo and RAM. Maybe you could sell your current setup to help recover some of those costs.

PC3200 would pretty much be a waste for that combo. It lists those because they are compatible...but, they will slow themselves down to match the FSB Speed you've set in BIOS...or, they will underclock themselves.

If you want to get into overclocking, you need to make sure you have a good understanding about more cooling needs, voltages, how to set Bus Speeds and lock them correctly, etc. NO ONE is an expert...there are just some that are a bit more experienced with this than others. Check into the CPUs and Overclocking forum for some more ideas and possibly advice....

Best of luck.