Thread: Media Player wont start

Hybrid View

Media Player wont start

I installed Windows Media player 10 and wanted to go back to MP9. I uninstalled MP10 and reinstalled 9 through the Add/Remove windows components. Now the MP 9 doesnt start at all. I reoved everything again and reinstalled but no use. Is there a good way to trouble shoot WMP installation? I have Win XP with SP1 1 GB CPU and 632 MB RAM.

Won't start as in you try to play a media file and WMP won't launch to play it. Or, you double-click the exe or an icon and it won't start? If it's the first it could be because you lost your file associations. If it's the second, it could be because WMP 10 left behind some of the DRM registry entries that version 9 doesn't support.

What happens if you reinstall version 10? Does it work?

No it is not a matter of association. I tried reinstalling V10 and it worked well. So I have to modify the registry to be able to use v9?? What do I look for in the registry to remove those DRM entries?

I know that V10 is full of code to support digital rights management to protect copyright infringement. That may, or may not, be your problem. It's speculation on my part. I guess I'd ask what's wrong with V10 (since it will work)?

Others on here may be more knowledgeable on what registry keys may be causing the problem. I try to stay out of the registry unless it's absolutely necessary.

I didnt like V10 interface, it is more complicated and makes opening a new file more difficult than before. It is more geared into opening full playing lists which is cumbersome. However, It looks like I have to keep it until I find out how to remove it properly.