Thread: Ghost question, infectious ramblings and reinstallation musings...

Ghost question, infectious ramblings and reinstallation musings...

image question:
    If I make an image with Ghost 9.0 can that image be used by former members of the Ghost clan (meaning, Ghost 8.0, 7.0, 6.0, etc.0)?

anecdote:
    I'm working on someone's Windows 98 (not se) system that for all intents and purposes was unusable. I've run Spybot & Adaware which found oodles of goodies like Xupiter, Gator, pR0n dialers and various other malware. I ran his own Norton Antivirus with 1.75 year old definitions (which was not auto-protecting) and found several viruses. I found a few more that it didn't (something calling Chosen.exe, something calling itself "SysTray.ExE" , bagle and some W97 variant) in the startup menu. I have to replace some system files that were damaged ( -- a message box probably from Norton complains about some files (one I think was ddeml.dll) that were replaced by an older version and that the system won't run correctly until the files are restored). Nearly every if not all files on the system have a date 01/01/80, which makes me wonder if the files are actually somewhat ok and Norton is using the file date to determine it to be an 'old version'.

the point:
    I'm going to make an image of his drive because despite the damage that's done he has data scattered here & there (mainly important geneological stuff). Hopefully I'll be able to recover something. After making the image for recovery purposes I'm going to reimage the drive & reinstall the bare essentials. I have two options: I can use the existing Ghost 6.0(?) on his system to write a file that I can pull off that computer on my network and then burn it from my system with Nero or somesuch app. OR I can take that drive out, put it in my own system and make an image with my own Ghost 9.0. This is my last resort and I'll only do it if I can't create the image with his own.

side comments:
    It's amazing how people don't update their definitions, DISABLE auto protect, increase the cookie 'security' to highest because they're afraid of those tasty virtual niblets yet have no problems checking "yes, please integrate your toolbar in IE and allow 1,000,000 popups each time I boot up", or further have no problems downloading attachments from emails that say things like "YOUR EBAY ACOUNT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED -- if you do not respond to this email within 24 hours your account will be closed and it will cost you $350 to reopen it".

People need a license to drive. Maybe we should think about licensing people to use email too.

Any input? Grateful for your comments.

ß
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Are you getting paid for your work? If so, then thank the (choose your diety or none) and don't complain that there are plenty of these n00bs out there, it puts beans on your table and the latest vid card in your system.
    If you are not getting paid, it's either a friend, family member or you are just a heck of a good guy..... or REALLY STUPID.
    Rule Number One: There are a lot of stupid people out there.
    Rule Number Two: You can make a LOT of cash off of stupid people.
    Rule Number Three: If you are not making a lot of cash, see rule number one.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

well done. good points all.

It's a friend of my dad. I am charging him. $50 for 'defestation', which is a good deal for him. Because it's running fine now I'll hold off on reimaging unless he really wants it. Then I'll charge him $40 more dollars. I'll also give him the option of a good cheap system (even a Socket A which will probably outlive him).

He ended up, not including the afforementioned, having 4223 infected files. 4 variants of Netsky. Bagle. Hybris. Realplayer. He'd obviously never heard of Windows Update.

I swear I am up to no good. And your rules are firmly ensconced in my brain. thx.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

its fine charging those n00bs as mobo puts it and yes you can make money from it to......but at what cost?

I tend to find that the lesser experienced users will pay the $50 to have their machine cleaned and go away feeling happy with themselves cause their computer is working fine.
    What i really find frustrating is when they come back the following week saying..."err im not sure u did such a great job as the comp is slow again"

Ok i say, i will clean it again for you thats another $50. They grumble a bit and pay the money. 1 week later you get another call..."its messed up again and this time im not paying you the $50" All because they dont know what there agreeing to when they install free apps. You try and make idiot proof system and then suddenly they cant sign into msn cause of privacy control or sumthing.

I prefer to help people who know a little about the internet and know what to click and not so when i tell them that its because you installed this program on this date they dont look at me with total and untter confusion, they usually say "oh yea, but i though that wasnt a problem". Lesson learnt. The lesser experienced ones dont tend to learn cause they dont want to(this doesnt mean all newbes, but the ones who wanna leanr usually do so quite quickly), they want to use the machine and not care how it does what it does.

It is also annoying when they keep calling saying "this message appears saying this program wants to access the internet what do i do?"

Thats my 2 cents

For the love of GOD why wont this work?