Thread: DSL Connection at school

DSL Connection at school

Was wondering about DSL.

I have a cable connection, comes to modem, then to a router and that splits it up to 5 systems. I have to setup my internet for a lan connection for it to work.

My friend uses AOL. so it kind of sets it self up. and uses a dial modem.

But how dose DSL work. I heard through a phone line but it is an all the time. so was hoping someone could explain how It works. and how to set it up. thanks Cnn7

For functional purposes, DSL Works like the Cable.

You have to change the Router settings to DSL. The DSL Modem output is Ethernet (like the one comes out of the Cable Modem.

Past this point, there are No differences beside optimizing the values of MTU and RCV in the TCP/IP Stack of each computer.

May be this can Help: Link to: DSL Routers and PPPOE.

I'm not sure but thought they said it was pluged into the phone modem. can this be true ? and on seting up the internet should be through a lan then ?

DSL uses the phone line. The modem outputs then internet through the Ethernet connection, just like the cable modem does. however, it's input is the phone line, just like a cable modem's is the cable connector. However, even though DSL goes through the phone line, it lets you speak one the phone at the same time, and it's an always-on connection. It's waaaaaaaaaaay faster than dialup, and, depending on your location and how the Cable ISP is, it is sometime faster than cable.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.