Thread: ProView grief

ProView grief

Trying to get a Proview Mod. 765, Prod # PS 769, 17" monitor, driven by an ATI Rage Fury Pro card, to stop giving me grief.

All front screen controls on the monitor work fine, but I just can't get the image (text, etc) width to fit the screen (even boot-up messages don't fit). On Linux SuSe 8.1, tried to set freq and resolution with YaST2, but lose video as soon as I try to "Change." (Flashing green LED). No luck with windoze 9x or xp either.

Am I missing something here ?

Welcome to SysOpt.

Sounds to me like the monitor is going bad. How old is it?

Thanks, rNr. It's about 10 years old. The local shop here says that if the screen adjustments work, there's nothing major with the monitor. I managed to reduce the width a little by setting the freq to 56 but the flickering really gets bad.

U may be able to bring life back to the monitor if u have or can barrow an hand held degausser, there more powerfull then the built in one. But as RockNRoll said........

Also see if the insides of the monitor is clean, after 10 years I doubt it.

Well, I opened up the back. It wasn't too bad but vacumed it out anyway. No change. The problem seems to be an internal hight to width ratio setting even under DOS. I can pan left/right with the on-monitor setting to see all that's on the screen but can never see the full screen content at the same time.

This is only 4 people that know what there doing.....

Monitors generate a LOT of heat, in doing this some of the soder connections can become intermittant or bad. Sometimes a problem can be fixed be re-sodering some of the soder points, near the power supply, transformer an high voltage parts. U may be able to see a bad one if it has a brown/black substance around it, but not all the time. IF U TRY THIS "BE CAREFULL OF THE HIGH VOLTAGE CONNECTION" Wear good insalated shoes an only use one hand You can discharge it using a screw driver, heavy guage wire with alligator clips on both ends. Ground one end, using 1 ( ONE ) hand, with the wire connected to the screw driver stick it under the HIGH VOLTAGE CAP on the picture tube an u'll hear a SNAP, now ur safe.

ONLY DO THIS IF U KNOW WHAT UR DOING!