Thread: Xp Pro ver XP Home

Xp Pro ver XP Home

Im getting ready to build a new box for my family and was wondering how much of a diffrence there is between the 2 XPs. I bought pro when it came out so I have never even tried home on my box. Is there any reason home wouldnt be just as good for a box that does a little home work and some gaming? I have heard other then the remote access in pro and some features for twinking the proformance is pretty close. Any feed back yall have would be of help.

Best of Applications and Operating Systems

Look at "Which XP is right for you?"

If you have to ask, then you don't need Pro.

...sorry, just compensating for people that might tell you "more [pro] is better, always". take for instance my parents: they are decidedly NOT pro. they bought a new computer for $800 that can barely keep up with my box whose components are probably worth around $100 less now, and are 2 years old. BUT theirs can run 64 bit programs!! (at least, 1 at a time... ) so to conclude, this is def. a case of less being more, though if you still want to know the difference out of curiosity, just look it up on the MS website

***DEL***

NM

I found the answer.
    Last edited by Damins; 09-01-2005 at 03:01 PM.

You read into that too much. Yes...it can use NTFS file system.
    NO, it can not use the encryption.

There are about 1 to 2% of home users that can actually benefit from Pro...If I didn't get mine from work (Legally...of course. I do support from home and it is volume licensed) and if I had to purchase on my own dime an OS...I'd get Home.

I laugh everytime someone tries to tell me Pro is better. Then I ask them why...and the conversation stops there.

I'd bet if MS named them XP Home and XP Business or Corporate, this wouldn't be such an issue.

People want to use "Pro"...darn it.

Now...with Office, PRO does make a difference.!!

I wouldn't have deleted that....

This was a good info thread for others...
    This topic pops up from time to time...and the more users have to search and learn from , the better we all are...

Thanx for the all the input guys it helped out alot. The part I deleted was I had misread the MS site about XP Home useing a ntfs file system. The answer was yes it can but cant use the encryption as dajogejr pointed out. It seems the biggest diffrence between the 2 I could find was the remote desktop but thats something I have never used in the 3 years I have had pro on my machine so I would guess my family wouldnt either heh. Thanx again guys....

Pro does have the global policy editor and home doesn't; but you can do most of what it does on home with regedit. A few services are in pro that don't show up in home but again no biggy. Other than that there isn't much difference in normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Damins
    It seems the biggest diffrence between the 2 I could find was the remote desktop but thats something I have never used in the 3 years I have had pro on my machine so I would guess my family wouldnt either heh. Thanx again guys....
    Well...if you ever did, it works fine on XP Home and W2K that I can verify. And...best of all, it's free from Microsoft as a download.

I use it on my work W2K laptop on top of my VPN Client to remote into my work XP Pro desktop....

Here you go...just for future reference!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx

I also use this to remote into W2K servers at work...so, it's for more than just XP Pro boxes...by the way.