Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nvidia caught pants down again?

Ultimate Member
    The difference between ATI and nVidia however is that even on ATI's worst day, 9/10 times they still have better image quality that nVidia cards.

Quote Originally Posted by RamonGTP
    The difference between ATI and nVidia however is that even on ATI's worst day, 9/10 times they still have better image quality that nVidia cards.
    And that’s noticeable when you’re running through a game blasting and jumping? Come on I own both new gen cards there’s no difference that I see unless I pause and take a good hard lonnnnnngggg look, anyways that’s beside the point ATI are no angels either to nuff said

Ultimate Member
    No one ever claimed they were... Just stating the facts

The cat 5.8s are alledged to show this problem as well - just not as severe

Quote Originally Posted by bob05
    I'm still planing to buy a 6600GT...best bang/buck card out right now.
    me too. down to $220 here in Canuckland, $250 with "silent pipe" cooling-
    ...sounds dirty but isn't!

All I know is I just have the FX5900 card and water and what you described is not apparent at all to me. In fact, the graphics are superb...esp. water and the latest drivers solved 99% of any known issues as my card runs better than ever and the graphics look 100% improved, which is far more than I or anybody could ask for, considering that before they looked just fine too.

Ever go to thier ( Nvidia ) site and look at the driver readme logs?? I cannot see anythng theymight have missed there in information or in what is stated therein.

I like the color and the way ATI cards look and also like the same for Nvidia. the technical issues will always be there ..esp.with the nitpicky things that some people bring up...

Also, how many companies in whatever industry out there do not stretch the truth just a little for markerting concerns..or to sell thier product??
    If the product works like intended and stated and displays its results for all to see, then I won't tell..,nor do I care.

Since having a Nvidia card I have never had any isues at all with thier wholesale driver sets and I'm happy to say that finally I think they have made the best and most sugnificant changes lately and they have worked flawlessly. Quite a feat I must say.

I would buy either card of about the same class and benchmark and be equally happy i'm sure.

I am beginning to wonder if there is some conspiracy going on ..and if some ATI spys arenot working overtime so that they can be one uporput the ole rod in the bum hole... hmmmmmmm....????
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 09-11-2005 at 12:07 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ultimate Member
    RR, The FX series has issues with traditional DX9 paths. This is well documented if you do some research. While some of the newer driver releases did resolve some issues, it did not fix the problem all together. It still suffers from a big performance hit when using DX9 paths. This is why games like HL2 and I believe even farcry use different rendering paths for FX gpu's. Regardless of how well you think the card performs, those problems DO exist. There is a reason why the FX series is frownd upon by many, it is not merely a myth.

I hear ya Ramone.. Things on paper and such as is Technical jargon are hard to see with the naked eye nonetheless. being practical and having a good eye for color and detail as I am I go by what I see and feel...which is what most of us do.

Its a fact that my open GL is barely under 1.5 which is far below the norm of 2.0 today ..but rendering and how its done may not be as important as speed and just if everything looks as best as it can regardless of how its done.

Its also alot like processors, where I have an Intel CPU and we all are always debating which is better...; AMD or Intel and after seeing and playing around some with the AMD 64 line ...I do notice hat they seem to respond a little quicker.

Like i was saying .... I have come down off my high horse alot lately.Today, if I bought a new Videocard I would just as likely get a ATI card as they have donea good jobof stepping up to the plate... I do actually read over and witness the benchmarks as actual proof so I don't get caught with my pants down.

I'm not sure which is a more compelling storyline to follow. The CPU wars or the video card wars.... interesting stuff nonetheless.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Video card wars because it's been neck and neck for the longest time, where as the Processor wars have now come after 2 generations to show that AMD is the clear winner of almost every area of processing, plus the Athlon 64 supports the most processor code of any consumer processor to date. That's saying a lot.

Nvidia is doing really well right now, as they've got 2 generations of cards that support PS3.0 and run it really well, while ATI is still PS2.0 and has yet to release their latest generation of cards. Nvidia just gets called out because they are the giant of the graphics world. The do everything and ATI doesn't. That's just what Nvidia does.

yeah.. and I just read the review here about the latest 6800GT using 512MB memory and supposely the prices are going to start at around $300.00 AND UNDER in most cases.

I agree with yuor assessment also... Nvidia puts out very nice Video cards or technology.... and they seem to be more up front then some people have claimed.

Also, I think overall,they have a better handle on thier driver updates..and like I said, the latest 77.77's seem to have been a vast improvement for ALL cards.
    My 3D Mark 03 scores went up 300 notches..and that is a vast improvement

The shimmering comes from cutting corners - ATi's latest drivers are doing this as well but can be disabled - although it isn't as bad in their drivers as nvidia's

Is it not the case that all the nvidia driver for these two generations have done it but ATI has only done this in the catalyst 5.8 drivers

Which i installed but it didn't install properly....not gotten around to fixing it