Thread: clone raid-0 to single drive

clone raid-0 to single drive

I have 2x36GB raptors in raid-0, that I plan on selling. I am trying to clone to a single 80BG PATA drive. Although all the data is on the drive and can be seen in windows, it's unbootable. I have tried using partition magic 7, seagates drive utilites, and True Image 8 to clone the drives. After cloning, all the data appears to be intact on the PATA drive, but it won't boot. Partition magic says the partition table is corrupt, and doesnt allow me to do anything with the drive. I tried to do a repair install with the windows xp cd, but it says it has an unknown partition. I tried the repair consol, and it's also unable to recognize it.

Is what I am trying to do even possible? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that you are out of luck on the cloning process.

You can not easily switch drive types "RAID to PATA or SATA" due to the driver differences already loaded.

not just drivers diffirences but the way windows is handled on a RAID-0 by the raid controller is different from the P-ATA controller. Why not just copy the data off the RAID-0 and reinstall windows on the P-ATA.
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

The problem is that I can't re-install some of my programs. I lost an entire box of discs when I was moving. Didn't want to have to do a re-install if I didn't have to since I can't re-install everything. Guess I'll just have to save what I can and re-install. Thanks

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Repair install will keep your installed apps and data safe.

Repair install doesn't work, it's not recognized as a valid partition..

Well I ran testdisk from within windows, and it seems to have repaired the partition table. I am currently doing a repair install. Took 4 hours for testdisk to finish, but seems it's going to work. I'll report back when it's done to let you know if it worked out.

Hmm, still having problems. Thought I was getting somehwere, the partition is recognized now. I try to do a repair install, it copies the files over, says it's ready to reboot to continue install, then says "Error loading operating system"

p.s. the recovery consol also recognizes it and lets me log in, but I am not sure if anything I can do in there will help.

Everything seems to be reading the disk properly now, but repair install still isn't working. Partition magic no longer sees any errors on the drive, before it wouldn't do anything with the drive at all. I got rid of the Error loading operating system message by switching to LBA mode in the bios(found the suggestion doing a google search). Now I get a disk read error message instead. If I change back to AUTO from LBA mode, I get the error loading operating system again. So close yet so far away..

Quote Originally Posted by nchan10111
    not just drivers diffirences but the way windows is handled on a RAID-0 by the raid controller is different from the P-ATA controller. Why not just copy the data off the RAID-0 and reinstall windows on the P-ATA.
    Yes, partition and format your drive from the working windows on the raid to the pata (all drives connected), then copy everything from the raid to the pata, then do the repair install with the pata drive only.

Quote Originally Posted by genesound
    Yes, partition and format your drive from the working windows on the raid to the pata (all drives connected), then copy everything from the raid to the pata, then do the repair install with the pata drive only.
    I've already tried that. First it wouldn't recognize the partition as a valid NTFS partition(windows XP said unknown partition, wouldn't allow a repair install, and even a regular install would no longer work) Parition magic was unable to do anything with the drive, had error 110.

I used Testdisk, to check and repair the partition table. Now everything is reporting the drive as being normal. Partition magic detects no errors, WD diagnostics reports no errors. If I boot with it as a slave drive, all files are accessable.

Windows XP allows me to go to the recovery consol, where I have tried FixMBR and FIXboot to no avail. I tried a repair install, it copied the files, and then said Error loading operating system. I went back to PM and it said it detected an error, and fixed it. Now instead of the Error loading operating system, I get a Disk read error, press ctrl alt del to reboot. I am currently running a chkdsk /r on the drive.

I know I am probably stuborn and this may be hopeless but I don't give up easily.

Give up...
    I went round and round with this a while ago...same thing. A pair of Rappy's in 0.
    When one failed, I used the image that was a few weeks old and it imaged back onto 1 of the raptors fine until it's brother could get warrantied and sent back.

However...for giggles...I tried and tried to get this to work on and old IDE Drive I used for Data backups. I tried what you have done, as well as tried Norton Ghost.
    No avail. Same thing, XP Repair did not recognize the partition.

I'd be interested if you do find a way to do this. But...since you are selling the raptors, I assume you're on a time line. Might be best to backup what you need, fresh install and go from there.

Post back if you do find a way to do this...after working on it at home off and on for about a week or two (waiting for that warranty) I threw in the towel, something I rarely do myself.

Well I got it to work!! I created an image using True Image 8, and put the image on an external drive. I then restored the image to the IDE drive, did a repair install, and it's up and running.

Darned good to know. I have an external USB/Firewire drive I use for backing up customer's stuff...however, I didn't have that when I went through this.

Not that I ever plan on doing this again...I do use True Image as well...so, thanks for the head's up.

I'm curious as to how stable/reliable it will be....