Thread: Cable on its way... Need help picking a router

Cable on its way... Need help picking a router

Ok I just ordered Cable internet from Comcast due to be installed September 6th... YAY! I'm going to be using my onboard NIC for the connection. I have Norton internet security for a software firewall, but I would like some hardware firewall protection.

I will only be connecting one PC to the internet though there is a possibility of having another added later. I was originally going to go for a strictly wired router but a friend suggested that wireless 802.11g router was the way to go. Either way I personally don't care. I just need help choosing a good one as there are 77 wireless models and 60 wired models available on newegg.com and not having alot of experience with broadband hookups I am not familiar with the little nuances of cable.

I always thought Linksys was the brand to go with, but after reading some of the reviews on newegg it seems their routers have a problem with burning out within one year.

Please help with your opinions and feedback.

Thank you in advance!

If not Linksys, then Dlink or Netgear would be my next choices. I've had issues with Belkin and Hawking products.

Any way ... here are three that I am looking at. Will these work equally well with Cable internet? From what I understand the ability to clone the MAC address is important for cable. Do these do that?

Linksys BEFSR41 - $49.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124001

D-Link DI-604 - $33.00 (-$10 rebate) = $23.00 ... newegg
    OR $49.99 (-$45 in rebates) = $4.99 ... bestbuy!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127013

Linksys BEFSX41 - $64.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124007

I am really tempted to go for the D-link one from Best buy ... $4.99 after mail-in rebates!!! But then there is the nagging voice in my head that says get a Linksys. What do you all think?

I got a really nice Netgear 802.11b router at my local Frys for $30 bucks. I Know it's 802.11b but the router's got a really nice setup assistant, looks great, and was cheap. It's pretty fast through wired connections, but I haven't tested wireless yet. If all you want is a nice router and wireless, but don't really care about the speed of wireless, this thing is great. Lots of options you can set (you access the router as routerlogin.net in any browser) and it can block innapropiate websites. It comes set up to block them by default, but it's easy to turn it off.

I haven't had a problem with this at all. NETGEAR 11 Mbps Wireless Router, MR814v3

I'm not sure if it clones MAC adresses, but it can tell the modem that it's MAC address is the computer's MAC address. Also automatically logs you in if your connection uses PPPoE.
    Last edited by BuildItYourself; 08-22-2005 at 11:31 PM.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.

pretty much all soho routers will do mac address cloning. I haven't seen one that doesn't.

the dlink604 is fine, but I thought you said you wanted wireless?

For wireless you should really be looking for speeds of "up to 54Mbps" or more, & "WPA" level security!

Avoid 11Mbps - as file transfers between computers can be slower than they need be! "WEP" security is all but obsolete & easily crackable - you wouldn't want your neighbours piggy-backing your cable connection for free.

I have a personal liking for Buffalo routers - they have a one-touch setup that maximises all security settings automatically! Newegg don't seem to stock them though. As with everything - You get what you pay for - so don't skimp if you don't need to or you'll only end up "wishing" later.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ubCategory=145

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    pretty much all soho routers will do mac address cloning. I haven't seen one that doesn't.

Thank you for that info Midknyte. I counldn't find that info in the newegg listings.

As for wireless... it doesn't really matter to me whether wired or wireless. At this time there is only going to be one computer hooked up to it anyway using the 10/100 ports on the back.

The Buffalo Routers are more expensive ($20-$30) and it hard to find them heavly discounted, but they are More Solid and Stable than the rest of the bunch, and it is WDS out of the Box.

http://www.buffa******.com/wireless/...elessProd.html

All windows OSs above Win98 are compatible between them for Networking.

RJ-45 is the name of the Jack/Plug.

CAT5e comes in two flavors Straight and cross over (both have RJ-45 plugs.

Which one to use depends on the Network Hardware that need to be connected.

May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/faq#crossover

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network Settings, and Sharing.

Link to: Windows Network - Installing & Sharing.

Thanks cat5e for those links they will come in handy in the next two weeks.

And thank you all for your feedback. I ordered the wired D-Link from Best Buy. My reasoning is for $5 after rebates it will be a good learning router that I can step up from there as I learn more of the inner workings.

Thanks again all.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but...

What's the difference between WPA and WPA-PSK (Pre Shared Key)?
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourself

What's the difference between WPA and WPA-PSK (Pre Shared Key)?
    May be this can Help: WEP, WPA, and WPA2.

There's also Wireless Security! Be aware that some hackers are now capable of breaking standard WEP keys with only a few minutes worth\packets of information, so if you're being targetted - even changing the keys every few days won't help.

Why is this important and what does it do for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte