Thread: external enclosure

external enclosure

i have a WD 80gig and im going to connect it to my laptop via an external enclosure.
    i've been looking at newegg for possible connection types, and cant seem to figure out which connection is better. i think i would rather use the ieee 1394, but usb 2.0 would be fine.

then i looked at the usb 2.0 ones, then i find there are type b??? whats that? i found one i like, with free fedex shipping, but cant seem to figure out the difference between usb2.0 and type b.
    can anyone explain this to me?

also what is the speed difference between those two, and perhaps the ieee1394? i know the usb2.0 is faster, but by how much?

Are you talking about a Type B USB connector? The regular fitting is Type A .

I think most external drives, like printers, are ported with Type B connections.

Firewire (ieee1394) and USB2 are about the same speed. USB, however, is far more popular, and therefore more useful.
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 08-21-2005 at 02:12 AM.

Might consider getting a 5½ enclosure to be flexable.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Firewire is actually faster in actual use than USB 2.0. It's also more consistent and superior for video streaming.

There are two types of Firewire - 1394A and 1394B. Type A maxes out at 400Mbps. Type B is 800Mbps. Each uses a different connector and the host PC must have that type of Firewire.

As Steve recommended, a 5.25" enclosure is more flexible and it also often has better cooling.
    MS MCP, MCSE

i thought about it, but the 5.25 would take up alot of space in my dorm desk.

this is what i mean about type b for usb. i thought it just meant the cable type, but only a few mention being type b, and the cables all look the same. heres one that i wanted to get since it was afforable:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817123118
    and this is the source page:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

thanks

Just be sure that the enclosure is ventilated.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Intimate Member
    The standard appears to be one type b and one type a end for the USB cable.

Type A is flatter and wider by a small amount..type b is nearly square but has a very small 45 degree taper at the top of each side.

I have extra cables that have male type a on one end and a female type a on the other..an extension cable if you will.

so it is just the cable. nothing to be worried about. ok, and you suggest i get something with ventilation? what about the one i looked at, is that ok? what would you recommend for me at a good price?

The 5.25" models can lay on top of the case, but if you are going to get a 3.5, then get one with a cooling fan. There are a couple of them on that page. The one that you are looking at does not have a fan. The B on that one definitely refers to the cable connection.

Each uses a different connector and the host PC must have that type of Firewire.
    - BPB
    Does that mean that 1394B is not backward compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Tunzafun
    - BPB
    Does that mean that 1394B is not backward compatible?
    Yes it does. USB 2.0, on the other hand, is backward-compatible.
    MS MCP, MCSE