Thread: Configuring Exch Mailbox to forward to external address?

Configuring Exch Mailbox to forward to external address?

I have Exchange 2003 and I am wanting to have all email sent to a particular mailbox to forward to an external email address (not on exchange ... and outside of our network/firewall).

According to my Exchange 2003 Admin 2400B course guide, this is possible, but in practice ... it appears you can only forward to other mailboxes on exchange.

Any insite is appreciated.

You can make a global address (going to internet), then in delivery options make it an alternate recipient. You leave the box under it unchecked so not to deliver to both boxes (obviously checked to go to both).

Once you make the global address, you can refer to page 41 in Module 4 in the 2400B course guide.

Ultimate Member
    Woodcycl, to do this, you want to go into the Actrive Directory of users and Computers.

There you want to create a new contact, and assign it an SMTP e-mail address, which will be the address of the e-mail account you want the mail sent to.

Then you open the properties of the user whose mail you want forwarded and go to the Exchange General Tab and click on delivery options.

In there you will see where you can set it to forward the mail, and then search for the new contact you created. You also have the option to have mail delviered to both locations, in case you want to keep a copy on the server for backup reasons.

Then, you can go back into the properties of the contact you just created, and go to the Exchange Advanced tab, and choose the option to "Hide from Address Book"

This will keep the new contact from being displayed in the Global Address List, that way no one uses it by accident.