Thread: MAC Specs

MAC Specs

Well...since MD's good thread on MACs is winding down, I have a few questions for the master.

My CFO's daughter is going away to school. She wants a MAC laptop.

There are 4 to choose from, from 999 to 1699. The 1199 laptop has a 1.3GHz processor and 256MB of RAM. She wants to be a fashion designer, etc.

From my PC knowledge, my first thought would be to double the RAM to 512 (we're all aware XP craves RAM)
    However...with MAC OSX, is this neccessary?

Your help please....MD and other MAC users.

Quote Originally Posted by dajogejr
    Well...since MD's good thread on MACs is winding down, I have a few questions for the master.

My CFO's daughter is going away to school. She wants a MAC laptop.

There are 4 to choose from, from 999 to 1699. The 1199 laptop has a 1.3GHz processor and 256MB of RAM. She wants to be a fashion designer, etc.

From my PC knowledge, my first thought would be to double the RAM to 512 (we're all aware XP craves RAM)
    However...with MAC OSX, is this neccessary?

Your help please....MD and other MAC users.
    With any computer, more RAM is always appreciated. Especially wehn you want to do anything art related, media related or anything that involoves creation. This means that yes, more RAM can help.
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

If its any help my sister went through FSUs fashion merchandising program with an $800 dell, and it still did 10x more than she knew how to use.

Quote Originally Posted by stix_kua
    With any computer, more RAM is always appreciated.

Got it...Stix.

I understand more RAM is better. However...I know how critical it is to XP.
    I don't know how well MACs or OS X relies on it.

Thank you for your reply...but, I wasn't looking for a blanket statement...rather a specific answer.

OS X benefits from more ram - not so much as windows perhaps, but it still gets a nice boost. I grabbed a mini with 256 and upgraded it to 512 only a few days later. It ran a good bit smoother.

Thanks...SS. I was hoping a MAC user would pipe in and give some personal advice.

I'm not discounting yours at all..>Stix, don't take it that way. But if 10 MAC users piped in (do we have that many as sysopt? ) and said 256 is more than enough to run anything...it'd be a different story. I told him the same thing...more RAM is always better...just wasn't sure how much more for a MAC.

Thanks again, all!