Thread: Cannot access certain sites

Cannot access certain sites

I cannot access certain sites using my browser. Sites such as Amazon.com and microsoft.com and ebay.com are denied access. When i type in such a site i get an alert message saying The connection was refused when attempting to reach so and so site. I run the internet connection through a router and 3 other computers including mine and they are all capable of accessing these sites. Can you explain why this is?
    "I'm Dick Tracy, take that Prune Face. Now I'm Prune Face, take that Dick Tracy. Now I'm Prune Tracy, take that..."
    -Young Ned Flanders

do you have a firewall? check the access list or just disable it temporarily to see if you can connect.

also check your hosts file.

i don't have any sort of firewall, and i don't know what a host file is.
    "I'm Dick Tracy, take that Prune Face. Now I'm Prune Face, take that Dick Tracy. Now I'm Prune Tracy, take that..."
    -Young Ned Flanders

did you scan for spyware? MS Antispy is pretty good.

Antivirus/Antispy

run cwshredder to repair the hosts file (static dns entries).

I dont know much about computers but maybe its because you dont have a firewall that windows wont let it load because people can get through?

1. Host file is a file that might include entries that block certain sites.

Sometimes it can end up with blocking entries check it:
    Windows Host File- What is it and How to Mange it?

2. Optimize your TCP/IP Stack: Optimizing & Measuring the "Speed" of Internet Connection.

3. Check yje Internet Explorer Options to make sure that there is No disable entries for important functions.

4. If Noting helps refresh your Internet related parts of the OS: http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

Is this your personal computer or does someone else administer it. I know at work these sites are banned and if we type in ebay.com it would say the same thing. If this is your own computer and you administer it then your broswe could be hijacked by spyware. is there a search bar under your address bar in explorer that you have no idea of.
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

Sounds like a simple handling of cookies issue. U set your privacy restriction to high then it will not allow sum sites.

Also if u override cookie handling or u have sum sort of privacy gaurdian (which stops pop ups and tracking cookies) then u also will be denied acces to sites like that including msn.

Spyware and re-directs in the toolbars would not block certain sites. Only a virus could and probably be a very easy one to spot and get ride of. This sounds like a permission problem.

What spyware, antivirus and firewalls u running and we can tell from there

For the love of GOD why wont this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Hola hoop
    Sounds like a simple handling of cookies issue. U set your privacy restriction to high then it will not allow sum sites.

Also if u override cookie handling or u have sum sort of privacy gaurdian (which stops pop ups and tracking cookies) then u also will be denied acces to sites like that including msn.
    While it is probably does not apply here (Microsfot.com and Amazon.com do not block you because of cookies) it is a very good point.

There are poorly designed Sites that would try nonstop to deposit Cookies and if can not would block the Site or freeze the Browser.

I use a Cookie manager on all of my computers that has Internet access. There are many free Cookie Mangers but the one that really shine is the $15 Cookie Pal by http://www.kburra.com

You can set it to sound a short beep when a cookie is accepted and another type of short beep when it is rejected, and configure a Filter to make the decision here after.