Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why Choose a Mac?

Why Choose a Mac?

As your local 'Maccie', I feel compelled to ask y'all a question: Why Choose a Mac?
    Apple has a new "switch" page up, and lists several reasons why Apple believes a Mac is better than a run-of-the-mill PC.

My short list:
    UNIX underpinnings
    Beautiful OS
    Zero viruses for OS X
    Spyware-proof
    Cheap head-less Mac (The Mac mini, of course)
    Two-button mouse (FINALLY!!!)
    Future platform on X86

As a dedicated Mac user who is truly excited at the developments of the last few years at Apple, I am curious to know what you, the (usually) die-hard build-it-yourself PC users think. I am interested in three things, specifically:
    1) What YOU think of Apple today (I'm not interested in your high school experience with Mac OS 7.5.1, for instance).
    2) Whether or not you would recommend Apple to a new computer user.
    3) Are there any unfair statements on the Apple Switch Page that you take issue with?

And please, if you don't know me already, know that I believe that Windows is not a bad choice to make in some circumstances. I am well aware that in several segments of the market, the Mac is simply not an option due to the availability of critical software. I also understand the limitations (and benefits) of a proprietary computer platform. So, I'm looking forward to a candid and positive discussion.

What do I think of Apple...

I love their monitors...2 years ago I had the chance to hook a 23" display up to my computer, looked amazing. They have a nack for style.

I'd debate the 'zero viruses' and 'spyware-proof' claims, though.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...9164062,00.htm

As you have probably heard others say to you before, if there as much a demand for it, and possibility to make money off of it, I'm sure there could be hundreds of viruses and thousands of pieces of adware/spyware written for Apple systems.

I dont know. Mac wont play every game u know.. Its not as popular as PC, so i'll stick with pc, its more fun.

I did not think they were allowed this far North.

isn't it still hard to get softwar for macs(though not as hard as it used to be)? still too pricey, not as upgradeable as a pc..I'll stick with a pc. I guess if I were a video editing person then I'd go mac..thank christ I'm not one of those...

I've always wanted to try a MAC. However...in a normal corporate enviornment, there's one maybe two MAC users. The graphics guy and maybe an AV guy. It's hard to justify spending time like that with such little support potential...

They are stable...no doubt. And...they sure are good looking and stylish.

However...their lack of software titles, inability to build one easily and price have shied me away. I know...the MiniMac...but, that's one of three...

I agree with Matt. Everything is written for PC when it comes to viruses. Look what happened to Firefox as soon as it got it's momentum going...somebody exploited it.

He who is the biggest on the block shall have the biggest target on their back....

That being said...I hope this stays a clean and positive thread. I've asked MD for help a time or two with MAC...and he's been courteous and responsive to say the least.

Please don't turn this into a MAC flame thread...all. MD has asked for an honest opinion in a nice way...we owe it to him to at least give him that.

I didn't see a single thing on the apple switch page that was anything worth switching for.

It just works...
    My PC works just fine. True there are less (still exist) spyware/viruses, but Im sure people could design their own operating system which are immune to even more viruses. Its less popular, so less targeted.

Picture Perfect...
    Windows is also 'plug and play'. Not much of a feature.

Home videos...
    I have no experience with their packaged video editing software, but I have always been very happy with the adobe I have used. I am almost positive that anyone doing heavy editing would buy 3rd party software anyways.

Join the party...
    Never used their tech support. I get by better than most mac owners I know anyways...the occasional trip to sysopt dosen't hurt

It does windows!...
    Is that an anti-mac item?

Easy as Ipod...
    My Ipod works just as well on a PC

Itunes
    ditto.

Online streamlined...
    No experience...I like firefox/thunderbird

Road trips...
    You can get PC laptops last I checked

Beautiful...
    Ok, they look nice. A custom PC can look very nice as well if your into that sort of thing. I'm not going to lie though, I want a widescreen monitor.

The new mouse isn't really a reason to look at mac over a PC...there are many nice PC mice on the market.

1) What YOU think of Apple today (I'm not interested in your high school experience with Mac OS 7.5.1, for instance).
    Overall? Good lookin, but overpriced. Its a PC world, and although the built in software may be great...its hard to find Mac versions of a *lot* of software.

2) Whether or not you would recommend Apple to a new computer user.
    Never. Even with great tech support, not many people can give you helpful pointers.

I do love Mac design though. My Ipod is great to use. If I had extra money for a monitor, apple is the first place I would look (for my PC, of course)...but those Dells are getting cheap nowadays.

I just don't like the idea of limited software compatability, as well as the price issue.

I wouldn't recommend one to a friend. Other than the price I don't have a problem with the machine but the guy who built mine is a lot easier to deal with than is Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by MJCfromCT
    I'd debate the 'zero viruses' and 'spyware-proof' claims, though.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...9164062,00.htm

As you have probably heard others say to you before, if there as much a demand for it, and possibility to make money off of it, I'm sure there could be hundreds of viruses and thousands of pieces of adware/spyware written for Apple systems.
    Kinda funny, but nearly every single comment on that news article says "not a virus", but the article doesn't actually call it a virus.

As I've explained before in other threads, the Mac is still inherently more secure than Windows, by design. In particular is the requirement to type an admin password whenever something gets installed, and root access being disabled by default. I also remember seeing somewhere that Windows XP ships with 5 security holes wide open. I do recognize that of course market share is a large factor, but even then, security by obscurity isn't all that bad of a thing after all.

I'd like to know how many of you have actually tried using a new Mac at the Apple Store. I know mireland has had some weird experiences with the Xserve, but other than that, I'm guessing you guys don't have any actual experience.

I'd still like to hear the comments... but gotta run for now.

I use my mini when I'm randomly surfing and as a computer to have in the living room to connect to my media onb this one - otherwise it really doesn't get used heavily, but I never intended for it to. I'm happy with it and it is more secure which was why I got it overall. The interface is nicer, but it's nothing for me to ditch the flexibility of windows over. Those are two bonuses, the rest the apple list really don't do it for me as a windows platform can provide most of the same, like a two button mouse and a cheap platform seeing as Dell is now cheaper.

It’s a “Tribal” thing.

When I started out in computing, in the late ‘70s, the choices were a Motorola or an Intel platform. The next six years or so “set the stage” for survival of computer manufacturers with Apple the ultimate sole survivor among home computers with a Motorola processor.

Methinks Apple’s survival through that era was solely due to its marketing strategy. They targeted the intellectual user and maintained a “price point” that projected quality but not out of reach for those whose background was “number crunching.” Gamming was pretty much limited to text adventures…an intellectual sport. Upgrades and modifications, albeit doable, required a technician who could work at the component level.

IBM looks like the sole survivor of those with an Intel platform. Their marketing strategy was pretty much the same, but the platform was built to upgrade by exchanging boards. Someone whose electronics background was limited could upgrade its platforms. This also left a door open for third party R&D for both home and corporate evolution. And then, along came the clones.

The “worker bees” of the 1980s became the “decision makers” in the corporate environment. The home computer users are the advisors for today’s beginners.

Frankly, the Motorola processors were more powerful and capable than Intel’s. But the ratio of Apple versus PC users was established back then and remains pretty much the same today. All of the companies that tried to expand too quickly, failed…and that’s a shame.

The point is; today, as it was 20 years ago, PCs are the best choice for most home and office computer users. Not because they are better. Rather, because the “ratio” of the technical knowledge base, beliefs of the decision makers, availability of applications and compatibility dictates it.

IMHO, I don’t think Macs would be around if it weren’t for a solid “Tribal” base coupled with excellent technology.

John B.

Well, I think this short discussion has convinced me of one important principle, one that I hadn't really grasped before... That even though Apple may have the slicker less-annoying GUI, sexier cases, and a more technologically advanced OS, that's not enough to convince the PC die-hards to exit their comfort-zone of more choices. And I don't blame you, either.

Someone Stupid (the member) is a successful Mac mini 'switcher', in my opinion (glad you finally got around to hook it up buddy! ), and really is more of an 'adder' than a 'switcher'. And my hope is that S.S. will continue to explore Mac OS X and strengthen the Mac platform. The Mac has had a horrible decade of negative anti-Mac bias (from my perspective, anyway), and I am only asking folks to give the current Mac the respect that it deserves.

I'd like to add that I am very much dedicated to bringing the Mac into the business world in a very real way. I am the graphic / web / systems designer at a new high-end dog and cat boarding facility called Stone Mountain Pet Lodge (currently under construction), and am attempting to keep it a Mac-only small business. We will have an Xserve that will host a complete FileMaker solution (I am designing the boarding portion myself), and will eventually host live video of cats jumping around in the play area. The "Pet ID" makes us unique in the boarding industry; I found the only card printer that works with the Mac, and it works great. The video surveillance system will use state-of-the-art PoE equipped cameras, and will run on 1 or 2 PowerMac G5s. We will have somewhere between 8-15 Macs total. My PowerBook will probably have Virtual PC for the specialty Windows-only software, or we might just have 1 PC for that.

Anyway, I am happy to see the Mac get a little more respect around these parts.

oh, I wouldn't mind HAVING a mac..I just wouldn't BUY one...

Spyware-proof is downright false advertising. To be spyware proof you'd need to stop people being able to enjoy software they like using since there's no way an OS can determine the difference between genuine software and spyware, since unlike viruses spyware is intentionally installed and (often) doesn't self-replicate or get to parts it shouldn't, indeed if you can install xfire (gaming messenger) you can install spyware, since xfire is pretty much spyware by design (it tracks what gaems you play and report them to a 3rd party). Indeed audioscrobbler too could be defined as "spyware by design" as all it does it report what music you listen to to a 3rd party.

The fact is as long as programs are easy to install spyware will be an evil derived from that.

I've known for quite some time that my next computer is going to be a mac. I love the fact that you can get a mac and put it on broadband without worrying about viruses/hackers very much. If you put an unprotected PC on Broadband, it will be attacked within 15 Seconds according to PCMag. I know macs are not immune to virii and spyware, but they are not at much risk. Also, MacOS X is a great OS, pleasing to the eye and downright functional.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.