Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: some more discussion on game stealing and copying..

some more discussion on game stealing and copying..

First off I feel like kind of a hypocrite for saying this..but I think its just gotten to the point lately of hearing about so much stuff pepoel are getting for free by hacks and cracks and so forth... and in my case I do have quite a few of those myself.. but maybe a person can have a change of heart and realize the whole industry has alot of users who may never pay for anything...or think they have a right to whatever...just bexcause they know how or have friends in higher places...and thats very debateable,if you think highly of cheaters and rip offs.

So much in this area of expertise and use ( the computer ) have so many out there who know how to get past anything and do or play with whatever.

I have relayed this info before about the fact that most of my games I have gotten in the past year at least have been boughten...and not ripped from shareware or other means.

You can call it a case of morals kicking in and yes ihave some of those..and a conscience..and yes I have one of those also...that I am getting a little tired and sick of my friends lately who have nothing better to do than copy games and never buy anything as I and most of you have done.

We all like to recieve an occasional gift or something for free,but its been my experience that it is so much sweeter to get the merchandise honestly and that of course has its benefits also. One is support...deserving of a product you buy from a company and also other like just thinking that you have the origianal and all that comes with it...in many cases manuals...legal CD keys and peace of mind.

To give an example.. this friend, who is only a short time known ..and like alot of my neighbors have credibility issues and shady backgrounds.. has been trying to get me these two games and since he is broke as of now.. he is tryng to sell me the games for need of money. This requires the use of Daemon..a well known emulator..of which i stilll have about five games installed on my computer for its use. Last night I told him that i took it off my machine for personal resosns and now he is kind of coping this arrogant attitude and is a little miffed...tryijng s he just did to justify it all and that other no good ex friend for doig something that requires smarts???? Excuse me! many known crimainals in this world are smart...so What??? Does that make it right??

How does it make you all feel to go out and buy a game like BF2 or Swat 4 or even F.E.A.R. or any other game and know alot of others are getting it for free and playing it just like you?

What really blew my top was this first ex friend.., the one who has so much supposed knowledge..., just told me today that he is downloading HL2 and the crack for. HEH? I proceeded to inform him of the fact it runs thru Steam and was highly illegal and he would be caught eventually.... he just kind of did a short double take and to no avail....he just doesn't get it. These people are parasites...pure and simple.
    He does not work... lives in a place for free...and even has a higher speed internet hookup ..just because he is close ot a known bookstore that has wireless internet as his hookup node ( also for free ). never mind the fact that he is a known felon and doing just the same old things he alaways has ..only under a different guise....

I cannot afford to buy BF2 now..and that is alright...nor aother game or two I want..but mor than likely I willl just buy them like most of what I have.

The differnece in me and them is that I do care about the industry and all this piracy..and that should include software and games.... not just hackers getting into our computer.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    First off I feel like kind of a hypocrite for saying this..
    ...I think you hit the nail firmly on the head. Pot meet Kettle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Soo.. whats your take on this subject then???
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

On the subject, I'd rather have peace of mind, a clear conscience, and sanctity of knowing noone is barging into my home to sieze any of my belongings under suspicion of piracy, or worse. My bookcase is filled with boxes(and corresponding receipts) for everything I've ever loaded onto my computer. If I can't buy it, I don't load, or look for it elsewhere. None of my friends have ever asked for a copy, as they know my morals won't consider it.

Right or wrong, the industry has created, marketed, sold and supported(badly in most cases) millions of titles that they seek compensation for, as a business. They supply, we demand, they develop, we request. Why would anyone expect to just be thought of as 'in the rights' to download and use for free something that someone else is seeking payment for?

You wouldn't go into a store looking for a candy bar, and just walk out with it, saying 'eh, they make enough money'. Think of those who are impacted beyond the candymaker. The store owner, who relies on the .2c profit of said fatpill to pay his/her lease, pay taxes, buy inventory, expand and succeed, feed his/her family, mortgage, etc. Everyone has to charge .5c more in the end in order to make up for that stolen merchandise. Food prices, inflation, etc., go up, and the economy suffers.
    Think the situation in Africa is just because no one wants to give up some grub or $$? Its mostly because governments and charities need to spend resources, manpower, and money, just to develop plans, which take time, to get the food into the hands of the needy without having to worry about more than a 10% loss to...drum roll.....piracy!

Scream about inflation, product cost, etc., all you want. Until you and everyone else who thinks that one download isn't hurting anyone stops, prices will continue to go up. That $40 you saved on getting a game for free just may have covered the salary for an additional tech support person, product developer or QA tester. Oh, that person's probably sitting at home, worrying about how to feed his family after getting 4 snubs in the past 4 interviews, wondering why no one's responding to his dice.com resume.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yeah .. the more i think about it the more I think the above mentioned are weasles...

They have no conscience whatsoever about riping anything off. i think its just how you are brought up and also those who you associate with...that mostly didctate waht morals you might have.

I am no angel...and have done my share in the past of the smae thing I am talking about..but enough is enough I say. yes, it does drive prices up and it also creates problems for those who have paid for thiers.

Shoreguy.... I usually don't go to this extreme often...but if my so called ex friend does indeed DL HL2 and gets an illegal copy working... is ther somewhere i can go to report him?? I know valve will catch him eventually...as they have caught most already..

Like the world we live in i guess its always going to be there..

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    Shoreguy.... I usually don't go to this extreme often...but if my so called ex friend does indeed DL HL2 and gets an illegal copy working... is ther somewhere i can go to report him?? I know valve will catch him eventually...as they have caught most already....
    Yeah, you can probably google for it. I'd be crossing another line I've drawn for myself tho, and that's as a fink. Karma thingy of mine....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm quite sure evertyone here has gotten a game or two (or more) for "free" and noit saying i haven't. I find when getting a game for "free" you don't appreciate it as much. A game that i bought with money I work for to pay bills/rent/etc as well with I find i have a greater appreciation for the game/s, and usualy sit down and actually beat the game, I noticed when I got a "free" game I'd maybe play for a bit and wanna see what other "free" games i could get, and so on. But now that I'm working to live a life and build a family, I have that much more appreciatyion and look back and look at other people who are stealing other peoples hard work, I shake my head. People need to realise when they don't purchase a game that's less money for developers t0 use to make game, you never no it may get to a point where developers just might be purely at a loss when making a pc game, then what happens next...? Publisher shuts down, no more games. Maybe I'm thinking a little to drastic but you never no. I'm quite proud of my game collection for my PC/Xbox/GameCube/PS2 because, I boguht it all myself, and it's all 100% legal/legit/mine.

On a side note, i bought BattleField 2, I paid $69.99 cnd for it, which I believe is outrageous, but I understand the price because all you legit gamers we're the one subsidizing those unfortunate folk who have a conscience disorder

$69.00 ??? That is a little steep but if you are in Canada then I might buy that. i usually wait a bit anyways when new games come out so I don't have to pay new car prices ..so to speak. What a month and pay ten dollars less.

I too still have many games i gotoff shareware when shareware was a cool thing and it was considered free trading. That is how i looked at it. Now its gotten so bad that some are not even buying any game...and thier sole purpose is to develope those skills that enable then to be one of the corrupted people.

Buying a game is more rewarding and you do appreciate it more.... I have quite a few games that cost fifty dollars and most are worth every cent. Mafia is one ...and HL2 might be another but i got it for around $43.00 retail and only the bronze package.

BF2 is more than likely worth fifty dollars due to its large scale.many maps ,and addons already for it.

For some it might be a matter of money as to why they do it..but that is no excuse...to buy nothing at all.

I'm finding, only recently, that most new game that come out for around $50 will be in the bargin bin in a few months, recently, the Wal-Mart near me just removed most of the games that were over 6 months old 'cause they weren't selling only leaving the newer game an most are down to $30 except for BF2 an a couple of others.

All my games are bought! REALLY! modem here, can't DL a 200 mb game on this but think of this sinario ......

People stopped DL games for illegal use....
    Game developers see this thru increased sales.....
    Price of new games rises to $80 - $90 thru pure GREED.
    DLing of games for illegal use starts...
    Congress passes a new DRM2 bill.....
    Game developers introduce a new protection system were just to load the game u must be on-line an have a special ID code u must manualy type in.

Around an round we go....

Not saying DL games for illegal use is right but what could really be done?

That is why I support Steam and Valve for installing a new concept that for the most part works...and works well. We have all come to accept this new innovation as possibly something other game makers could incorporate. Many would deem this an invasion of thier privacy or not being able to do as they please.... with thier product, but...

You have it pretty much right on there.... companies have no alternative but to try and do something to protect thier best interests.
    Most of the naysayers if they looked deep within themselves, might find a little cinicism and deceit lurking about...and not one leg to stand on.

In my opinion , because maybe this whole affair(s) were not dealt with early enough , the industry has gone out of control ....meaning that those other companies are now putting software out there that defeats this very purpose, thus fue ling the fire, as you will, and providing avenues for those who are less than conscienable to go ahead and do thier thing.

Personally, I think raising prices is not the answer at all. Quite the contrary.
    They should lower game prices...to put a damper on this whiole thing..thus limiting at least thier losses. When more are able to buy thier product...then after a short time the prices might go up.

I play alot of games.., past and present , and only some are worth that much ..but I do appreciate the effort that goes into making a game..as i have witnesses some awe inspiring things they do..and they deserve to get rewarded in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweb
    I'm finding, only recently, that most new game that come out for around $50 will be in the bargin bin in a few months, recently, the Wal-Mart near me just removed most of the games that were over 6 months old 'cause they weren't selling only leaving the newer game an most are down to $30 except for BF2 an a couple of others.

All my games are bought! REALLY! modem here, can't DL a 200 mb game on this but think of this sinario ......

People stopped DL games for illegal use....
    Game developers see this thru increased sales.....
    Price of new games rises to $80 - $90 thru pure GREED.
    DLing of games for illegal use starts...
    Congress passes a new DRM2 bill.....
    Game developers introduce a new protection system were just to load the game u must be on-line an have a special ID code u must manualy type in.

Around an round we go....

Not saying DL games for illegal use is right but what could really be done?

Also on that note, most people think they deserve the game free because they have paid for all hat hardware to run it. A new video to run the latest game now cost $300-800 just get it a good framerates.

Most people download games because they can. There are so many ways people can download file, newsgroups, irc, bit torrent, Gnutell networks and so on...The harder the industries tries to stop us from downloading, the harder people work on making it easier.

the question is: How do you take away something the majority wants. i mean this is happening all over the world.
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

True ..but does that make it right..just because the world as it is today being so corrupt anyways.. might sway the vote.... but

I STILL THINK GEORGE BUSH IS AN IDIOT ..and he still won

WTF you say??..... well, if everybody were to proclaim the world is coming to an end and like the sheep most people are... they all decide to off themselves to spare the trouble .., would you follow suit or have some faith and go on.

Realistically, no I don't think this will ever go away or trully get a satisfactory resolution.... but the 'Good' must go on and it will.

The war between the general public vs corporations will never die. We want payless for more, the corporations want to make more money while trying to sell less.
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

It's also more than just trying to d/l a game because you can't afford it. It is addicting to d/l games. Lots people do it because it gives them an adrenalin rush. A lot easier and safer to d/l something than steal it in person. It's almost a ast time. Most of the people I know don't play haf the games they download. They just like to say I got this game for free before it even came out.

Having said that, I don't think it will solve the problem by either raising or lowering the price. It's just going keep happening for the reason above. The software companies have to figure out some way to put the games on some piece of media that cannot not be copied (like a cartidge or something), but needs the hardware to run it. I'm sure someone would find a way around that as well.

The other option is to make the games so big that nobody has the time to download it.

Just my 2 cents.

[

I STILL THINK GEORGE BUSH IS AN IDIOT ..:

and you'd be right...