Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer tracking program....

Computer tracking program....

A lady I work with just bought her son a really nice laptop for school. She was wondering what she could do to keep it from being stolen. I was telling her about some tracking programs that hide on the system, then send out a signal when connected to the net if they get stole.

Has anyone had any experience with any program like this??
    Do they work?
    Which is best?

Thanks guys.....

Since most people with laptops end up plugging them in like a desktop, with too many plugins to make moving it worthwhile. A standard laptop lock works great, and is cheap.

Never heard of anyone using a GPS type tracking program, although I don't doubt you can get them.

CyberAngel

Tracks, Locates and Recovers Lost or Stolen Computers

When The CyberAngel® Authentication is breached at login or boot-up, The CyberAngel® Security Software's patented technology silently transmits an alert to our Security Monitoring Center, where we identify the location from which that computer is calling. The "unauthorized user" is unaware that an alert is being transmitted. Our Recovery Team helps coordinate notice to all necessary law enforcement officials and works closely with them to provide a rapid recovery of your stolen computer.

ZTRACE GOLD

ZTRACE GOLD is an invisible software security application that traces the location of missing laptops for recovery.

ZTRACE GOLD is undetectable and unerasable on a laptop's hard drive. The computer completes a handshake with the ZSERVER at every Internet connection. If the laptop is reported missing, a patent pending process occurs for the ZTRACE Recovery Team to identify the computer's exact physical location. The ZTRACE Recovery Team coordinates with local law enforcement for a completely outsourced recovery solution; the entire tracing and monitoring service resides with ZTRACE. For enterprises, ZTRACE GOLD provides a flexible solution that can be managed internally by an organization's own internal security department or outsourced with the ZTRACE Recovery Team.
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

One thing that puzzles me about these tracer programs that is not adequately dealt with in the sales blurb is how they actually phone home.

I can see this working only if the thief is dumb enough to go online with it. If I was a thief and I had stolen a laptop. I would treat it like any other potentially infected machine and install a brand new installation of a Pro grade firewall. Surely this would thwart the programs attempt to phone home. I can’t imagine it would be so simple or these companies would not be able to sell their products for too long.

But I am more than a touch curious how it works and would certainly not spend my money on it until it was adequately explained.

Remmember that these programs will not stop the owner from being beaten up and having their laptop stolen.
    Last edited by Kandar; 08-10-2005 at 04:00 PM.

I doubt any thief that steals anything that expensive is going to use it for himself, When he could sell it for cash and walk away scott free leaving the person who brought the stolen laptop with dealing with the police.
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandar
    Remmember that these programs will not stop the owner from being beaten up and having their laptop stolen.
    Thats fortunate cos wiv the twiddling I do the mach would probably end up beating me up .................... "Quite right too" some would say

Yep I'm inclined to agree. Nothing will stop a thief from taking it by force and selling it on to some unethical bloke in the pub. The best way to prevent it from being stolen is not to show it off in the first place.
    This beggs the question "Does the guy really need to take a laptop to school"?

"Does the guy really need to take a laptop to school"?
    Pretty much every student needs a computer at school, and many colleges require their incoming students to purchase laptops to bring to class.

So probably yes.

Really??

I doing my 3rd year computer degree and have been thru return-to college 1 year course to and out of class of maybe 300 students only 9 have laptops they bring in

There is no requirement as far as i know about having to own a laptop for school/collegue.
    For the love of GOD why wont this work?

opps i forgot to add that this is for the University i am going to and to the colleges i have been to only, i cannot speak for other educational institutions elsewhere

For the love of GOD why wont this work?

I had a laptop at school, and kept it plugged in at my desk 99% of the time. Then I switched to a desktop.

My particular university did not, but many schools are starting to require their freshmen to purchase laptops for use in class.

Bringing your own laptop is a requirement! That’s a new one on me.
    I have never personally heard of any school, college or university which requires students to provide their own computer. Certainly none of the educational establishments I have attended have made this stipulation.

Personal computers provide too many distractions and temptations to students and I can’t imagine what kind of administration would be crazy enough to allow students unrestricted access to private individual computer systems where they have no control over content, usage or security. Educational systems need to be locked down by the administrator and their usage monitored so that students have access to only what they need and nothing more.

This sounds like a “keeping up with the Jones’s” mentality to me. Other students have one so they all want one.

The fact is that anyone who carries anything that is of value is risking having it taken from them.

i dont know what you people are talking about. my school everyone is forced to borrow a schools laptop for 2 years. They buy 2000 laptops a year and they always have the latest models. Last year we had the Toshiba A10's now this year we have the toshiba A70's. If the course is pure technology why not have a computer since that what you'll be working with anyways.
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

To provide laptops all at the same standard on a loan basis is a good idea and is a totally different ball game altogether, all the systems are identical so no one has features that the others don't (avoiding jealousy). Each system can be pre installed with the software required for any given program of study and locked down to prevent the end users from installing additional software of their own. This way the administrator can maintain control over how the laptops are used.
    Last edited by Kandar; 08-13-2005 at 06:23 AM.

I know Clemson for sure requires their incoming freshman to purchase a laptop (engineering program for sure, but I believe its all students). They strongly suggest you buy one of the 3 laptop models through the school, so their tech support program can always help with problems (and keep spare parts on hand). You are allowed to purchase your own if you want, but I'm almost positive they require you bring one.

As far as jealousy goes, thats just not an issue. Kids are more jealous about driving a beat up car, while their friend has a BMW. Or why they buy Gordons, where others can afford Bombay.