Thread: Bandwidth battles...ADSL between PC & Mac

Bandwidth battles...ADSL between PC & Mac

New to this forum so, hello!

I'm hoping someone can shed a little light on my problem. Me and a friend share a flat with a 1MB ADSL line and a PEAK switch/router that shares between his Mac iBook and my two PCs.

The setup works OK, but we need a way, if indeed there is one, of sharing the bandwidth, but keeping our usage 'separate'. An example would be: He is running a P2P app and I am playing UT 2004. A 'bandwidth tug-of-war' ensues, where I get massive lag in the game and his d/l speed goes down to 1k a second etc.

How can we have it so that we both experience a simulation of having our own 512k line, unaffected by the other's usage?

I've tried Netlimiter, but I'm not sure that's the right thing...

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

i guess you can set the ports in the port forwarding of the modem. it may help.

try getting 2 public ips from your ADSL provider. Tell us if that makes a difference.
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

Thanks for the replies.

Cyber gubat - You might have to explain that - I'm not super-hot on networking. I know how to configure that in my PEAK router software, but have tried with other things (one being Soulseek, a p2p app) and it hasn't worked.
    This might be because I have a BT ADSL router initially, going into the PEAK, which might need configuring itself. It does my head in!

nchan10111 - I'll have to look into that one. Sounds interesting but I've no idea how to sort it out. I haven't tried tech support with my ISP yet...Hopefully they will know.