Thread: Motherboard Choice

Motherboard Choice

Just upgraded both sons systems - I get to pick which leftover board I want to put with a Barton 3200 processor - Is there any appreciable difference between:

1) MSI K7N2 Delta L MS6570

2) Abit NF7-S v 2.0

Both have latest bios

Thanks

Wow thats 2 boards I have had and both are good boards. I would say the abit though.

The Abit NF7-S v 2.0 can handle the 3200 processor and is definetly the better board!!! By luck I have seen both in action with realitively the same specs.
    If anyone thinks I'm wrong I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for the replies. Abit is kind of the way I was leaning. The MSI can handle the 3200 due to BIOS updates. The Abit v 2.0 (being a later release date than the MSI I believe) could handle the 3200 from the beginning. I think the Abit also might have better on board sound.
    I should also check out the available memory patterns. The MSI could achieve dual channel with 1 stick of 512mb DDR and 2 sticks of 256mb DDR (all Corsair Value Select 400). Those 3 sticks are what I'll be using. I wonder if the Abit requires 2 sticks exactly alike to achieve dual channel. I'll have to check that out.
    Thanks again.

AFAIK the nForce2 chipset board will run memory in dual channel as long as channels are balanced. Eg: 2X256 MB on A and 1X512 on B for a total of 1024 MB dual channel.

Thanks, I couldn't find that info in the manual and the board had been previously set up with 2 identical sticks of 512mb.

I have almost the indentical system. First had the MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR mobo, then changed that out to the Abit NF7-S v.2 mobo. Both performed very well. I'd be hard pressed to recommend one over the other. I think the Abit does have a few more adjustments you can make in the bios for oc'ing, but other than that, they are good boards.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com