Thread: How much will a AMD 2800+ Mobile Overclock?

How much will a AMD 2800+ Mobile Overclock?

Hi all,

Just wondering how much the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Mobile can be overclocked. I've already had a good look on the net, but not having much luck in finding some decent information.

Going by what I have seen with other mobile processors, it should get to 200Mhz FSB(400Mhz) with the PR of about 3200+.

Has anyone done any better with air cooling?

Can you post your overclocking results for this processor?

By the way I have only just got the processor this morning at work, so I havent tested it yet and havent got any benchmarks etc.

Thanks

A few of the boys have xp mobiles.
    So im sure if ya hang out for a bit they post there achievements with theres..

Cool, I know I am bit late on the XP mobile scene like a year or two, lol

Should be fun to play about to see what I can get, if nothing else.

Oh and welcome to sysopt m8..
    Hope ya stick around..

here's a link from the Best of CPU's and Overclocking

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-239-1.htm

your OC depends on other things like ram performance, voltage/cooling, etc.

right ok, heres what I've got sorted, so far, I just about managed to get this sorted for lunchtime, this will change anyway as I am still waiting for my artic silver 5 to come through the post.

v core 1.65
    Multiplier 11x
    FSB 200(400 effective)
    Clock Speed: 2400MHz

The temperature is running pretty hot at 52C, but this is to be expected as I havent applied any thermal grease/compound yet. I would apply some standard grease, but I dont wont to impare the artic silvers performance with left over grease when I get it.

There was a increase of 5 fps in 3dmark on the first test which went from 19 to 24fps which is a good performance increase from my crappy sempron 2300+.

I intend to have another go later on and see what I can get out of it. I am not sure if I have got the 1.45v version or the 1.65v as the temperature does seem a little out of the ordinary even without thermal grease. I'll try it at a lower voltage later on to see what I come up with.

I'll keep you guys posted.

cheers for your help so far.

you really should run your system without thermal compound on the cpu. are you running a stock heatsink? if 52c is your idle temp, that is really hot.

there are a lot of different factors, so no one could really tell you what your max is.

I’ve got a mobile 2500 and have been running it at 2.5GHz for over a year now. I think I’m giving it a 1.775 vcore. Don’t quote me on that, it’s been awhile since I’ve been messing with voltages.

You should look into a Thermalright or Zalman hsf for your cpu. I’ve personally never seen my cpu go over 50-52c under load. Even during that hot week when the central air was broke.

I know it’s not a 2800 but hopefully it can give you some idea.

Just out of curiosity what kind of mb and ram do you have in this rig?

Heres the spec:

Thermaltake S-Viking Case (2x120mm fans inlet and exhaust)
    NF7-S Ver 2( latest bios)
    1GB bog standard PC3200 RAM(This is next on the upgrade list) CAS 2.5
    Asus 6600GT extreme clocked at 575/1120 (I can probably get more from the 1.6ns memory)
    Sony DVD Writer(cant remember the model etc)

I know its not going to break any world records, lol

The CPU cooler I've got is a Q-TEC heatpipe which should do decent job providing I get some artic silver 5 onto it. I'm still waiting for it to come through the post. It got a copper heatpipe and alluminium for the fins, so there should be good conduction and heat disipation.

I'm not doing too bad I've got 2500Mhz out of it and the temp is now down to 47C after I put some standard thermal grease on which is 10 degrees down. I'm going to try and get some more out it after work, so should be interesting.

Once I've got it all stable etc, I'll post some benchmarks.

I've done a few benchmarks last night, the highest score I could pull was 3555 on 3dmark05. I think it may be a case of the ram is limiting the amount I can overclock, so I'll have to get this sorted next month. All the games I've tried including battlefield 2 seem to run flawlessly which is the main thing. The processor was definatley a factor though as the score has gone up by about 400 points which is quite a lot.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.