Thread: My Internet is SLOW

My Internet is SLOW

ok Iam running XP PRO SP2... I am using a LINKYS Router (wireless G ) but not hooked up as wireless. I have tried wireless also and was a little worse than what I haveI am on a DSL 3.0mbps connection. I did an online down load speedtest..from www.testmynet.com. I have no virus's or spyware System is fresh from a format.

Connection is:: 367 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 45 kB/s
    Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB download in 22.76 sec
    Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 20.42 % of your hosts average (sympatico.ca)

My buddy did the same test with same ISP and his score was about 8X better than mine

Any ideas here to increase my speed.. this is awful

are you running a software firewall? try disabling it and see if the speed increases.

you can also try one of these tools:
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
    http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe
    http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php?page=software

I disabled anti virus and firewall before I posted on here (no Difference)

do you have the latest firmware in your router? Did you check for any QOS settings?

I just bough the router a few weeks ago so I am not sure. QOS settings lol I have no clue what that is sorry.. I was thinking maybe the router is set on a default setting (capped at a certain speed)

Is this the same machine you built that's dropping Windows messenger? The router isn't capped - sounds like you have some OS problems and/or didn't setup the DSL router corrrectly. If you're starting to have all these problems now you could try a restore point, or you may be better off simply re-installing XP, or reinstalling your DSL connection - call the phone company - they owe you technical support. Or do both and see if your miscellaneous but probably related problems go away. Good luck.

Its hard to say, could be a few things.

Try plugging in the line directly into your pc without the router. Download a few big files from different servers bf2 etc for example. Use this tool to check your average speeds Du Meter

Try using DRTcp tool to edit/check your rwin settings.

For yourself you can change out all the wall connections and line with new ones, unless you have a tester etc to see whats going on.

Have a techguy come out to test your inside wall and out side signal strength. I had someone come out and I had a real low signal so he put some new connection on the line and its all perfect now. He said the little things can cause enough loss where your connection seems bad or you totally lose it now and then. I guess I was right on the boarder of having nothing/going out.

Quote Originally Posted by pootietang
    Have a techguy come out to test your inside wall and out side signal strength. I had someone come out and I had a real low signal so he put some new connection on the line and its all perfect now.
    pootietang's right - I don't use DSL but even my cable box had to be switched out when I first started - another thing to remember, if at all possible (just did a major remodel) check your inside phone lines, line noise (the tech guy should do that if your paying the monthly fee), and even a slightly loose connection or splitters, etc. can cause problems

for cable, a typical TV splitter will usually cause problems for cable - I know that for sure - use a higher frequency and high quality splitter

Quote Originally Posted by STP72
    I just bough the router a few weeks ago so I am not sure. QOS settings lol I have no clue what that is sorry.. I was thinking maybe the router is set on a default setting (capped at a certain speed)
    There might not be much you can do, it might just be your lucky are that has a crappy DSL/Cable connection.

I know cuz i've been on that situation before
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5