Thread: What should I change before I buy this PC?

What should I change before I buy this PC?

This is a PC I am considering buying. I want a really good gaming PC:

Motherboard : ASUS SKT-939 A8V DELUXE
    Processor : AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ rev E3 S939 Processor with HyperTransport Technology
    Memory : 1GB DDR RAM PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz
    Hard Disk : 200GB (7200rpm) 8MB Cache S-ATA Hard Disk
    Optical Drive : 16x DVD±R/W Drive Dual Layer
    Optical Drive : 52X CDROM Drive
    Sound Card : Integrated 6.1 Sound
    Network Card : Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor
    Video Card : RADEON™ 9600XT 128MB TV Out+DDR
    Speakers : Creative I-Trigue 3200
    Operating System : Windows XP Home with SP2
    Productivity Software : None Selected
    Printer : HP DeskJet 3745/EN 4800dpi 14ppm
    Anti Virus Software : Norton Antivirus 2005 11.0 - 365 Days
    Warranty : 1 Year Return to Base Warranty

Total: €1361.17 Incl VAT.

I already have mouse, keyboards, and a broadband modem. I have a Nvidia Geforce fx 5600 256 MB video card TV Out already, so should I just leave that video card above out?

Also is the Processor fast enough because I can upgrade that to a better AMD Athlon?

And is 1 GB DDR Ram enough memory?

I'm almost out of my price range there as it is, so can anyone help me get the best stuff for the right money.

Any hel would be great. Cheers!

Is this a pre-built system? If it is, you might save some cash (and get to know your PC "intimately") if you build your own. Anyway, that looks like a pretty solid machine. The 9600XT is a better card than the 5600 you have now, but it's pretty low-midend these days. You might want to consider a 6800/6600GT if at all possible. The processor is fine, and 1GB of RAM is good.

Yeah it's pre- built, buy I was just using a websites custom- built pc page to make sure all the parts would be compatible, and to get a rough price guideline. I was also looking at the RADEON X800XT 256 MB DDR with TV out, and the X800 Pro, but they cost a bit more. Are they much better?

Quote Originally Posted by javalanche
    Are they much better?
    Oh yes. Check this chart out for some comparisons:

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...ml#3dmark_2003

That's only one benchmark, but it gives you a general idea of the performance difference. You should really consider a good card seeing as this is primarily going to be a gaming machine - no point coupling a great processor like the AMD64 with a crappy graphics card.

Cool man, thanks. I think what I'll do is buy the motherboard, processor and a couple of the other parts from the retailer (just to be safe, cos I've never built my own before, and I'd hate to buy the wrong motherboard and not have the right slots and stuff), and buy the video card, printer and speakers seperate and install them myself. I'll ring them up and make sure that everything is compatible. Thanks for all your help, fishybawb.