Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More Problems with Compaq Laptop.

Compaq, what have you done?!

So I buy this laptop from Compaq.

R4000 customized.

AMD NewCastle Socket 939 3200+

256MB PC2700 (DDR333)

Basically I bought the cheapest memory option, and purchased from Newegg:

2 x Corsair 512MB PC3200 (Non-ECC Non-buffered)

I take the laptop apart and put the two sticks of memory in.

I turn the computer on, and it crashes (BSOD) constantly. On restart it tells me that "Windows has just recovered from a serious error" and then when i tell it to Send the information to Windows, it brings me to this webpage:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...db88929&SID=11

I have tested the memory with this program:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

so the memory is not the problem.

So I go to Compaq's website. I get into their "Chat with a qualified technician" thing.

I tell him what is going wrong, and he says that the fastest memory that the motherboard of my notebook supports is PC2700.

So basically Compaq sells the AMD 3200+ with this motherboard.

The AMD NewCastle 3200 has a maximum multiplier of 10.

To get the 2GHz clock speed, I need a 200MHz FSB, which can only be provided by DDR400, which this motherboard does not support.

What should I do?

I'm pretty sure if the highest it supports is PC2700, then the 3200 will clock down. You're getting the best you can if this is the case.
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

If the motherboard doesn't support the correct FSB for your CPU, then I'd suggest returning it back to Compaq for something that can.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You should return the RAM to newegg and buy Crucial RAM tested for your laptop.

http://www.crucial.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug

Listen the Sterling - he know's what he's talking about.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcadidas133
    So I buy this laptop from Compaq.

R4000 customized.

AMD NewCastle Socket 939 3200+

256MB PC2700 (DDR333)

Basically I bought the cheapest memory option, and purchased from Newegg:

2 x Corsair 512MB PC3200 (Non-ECC Non-buffered)

I take the laptop apart and put the two sticks of memory in.

I turn the computer on, and it crashes (BSOD) constantly. On restart it tells me that "Windows has just recovered from a serious error" and then when i tell it to Send the information to Windows, it brings me to this webpage:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...db88929&SID=11

I have tested the memory with this program:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

so the memory is not the problem.

So I go to Compaq's website. I get into their "Chat with a qualified technician" thing.

I tell him what is going wrong, and he says that the fastest memory that the motherboard of my notebook supports is PC2700.

So basically Compaq sells the AMD 3200+ with this motherboard.

The AMD NewCastle 3200 has a maximum multiplier of 10.

To get the 2GHz clock speed, I need a 200MHz FSB, which can only be provided by DDR400, which this motherboard does not support.

What should I do?
    The memory speed and the FSB don't have to match for you to get 2GHz... It is enterily possible that the memory and FSB are running out of sync. FSB@200 and memory@166. Obviously this is not an ideal situation, but its still possible that the CPU is running at the correct 2GHz speed. Have you checked to see wether or not the mobile version of the processor runs at 200fsb or 166??? I know that with the XP's the mobile's ran at 133fsb compared to 166 for their desktop part. If it does run at a lower fsb, then return the ram. If it is indeed 200fsb, then i'd find a laptop that has matching sets of RAM and CPU FSB.
    Last edited by RamonGTP; 07-01-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Since DDR RAM is backwards compatable! running PC3200-200mhz @ PC2700-166mhz shouldn't cause a blue screen [unless it's damaged in some way]! The computer should still auto-set the RAM to run at 166mhz, if indeed it is limited to that speed.

The problem obviously lies elsewhere & Tech Support was probably looking for a trap door [or didn't know any better]. did you try re-installing the graphics driver?

BTW: Compaq is owned by HP - I'm afraid you bought into the poorer relation.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 07-01-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug

Would using this RAM (the PC2700 ram) that it suggests, will the laptop's performance be at it's best? Will I be getting everything out of the AMD 3200+ that I purchased, or will PC2700 hold back the performance that an AMD 3200+ would get with PC3200?

Quote Originally Posted by Strawbs
    Since DDR RAM is backwards compatable! running PC3200-200mhz @ PC2700-166mhz shouldn't cause a blue screen [unless it's damaged in some way]! The computer should still auto-set the RAM to run at 166mhz, if indeed it is limited to that speed.

The problem obviously lies elsewhere & Tech Support was probably looking for a trap door [or didn't know any better]. did you try re-installing the graphics driver?

BTW: Compaq is owned by HP - I'm afraid you bought into the poorer relation.
    This is what I don't understand. I have heard this same thing from numerous sources.

After a bit of testing, here is what I have found:

Just the (stock) 256MB PC2700: Runs perfectly

Mixing one stick of (stock) 256MB PC2700 with one stick of 512MB PC3200: Runs perfectly (Both 512MB PC3200 sticks have been tested)

Just the (aftermarket) 2 x 512MB PC3200: Blue screen of death constantly within five minutes of boot. After checking the BSOD message on a forum, many people say that the message (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) is related to the ATI graphics card and driver.

There was also another message I remember seeing, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

If I end up returning the laptop, what laptop should I purchase next? I'd like to spend about $1200-$1300.

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by gcadidas133
    Would using this RAM (the PC2700 ram) that it suggests, will the laptop's performance be at it's best? Will I be getting everything out of the AMD 3200+ that I purchased, or will PC2700 hold back the performance that an AMD 3200+ would get with PC3200?
    You're not getting *any* performance now. If Compaq says that PC2700 is best, it is. You're not going to increase a laptop's performance with a different RAM type anyway. If you really want a performance increase, pick up one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822146036

Here's your RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...eries&tabid=AM
    MS MCP, MCSE

It's possible that the CPU is trying to up the FSB to match the PC3200 when you have just that ram installed, installing the PC2700 brings the speed down to that of the slowest stick! The graphics driver problem may be caused by the higher FSB speed - effectively overclocking the bus.

Try manually setting the FSB to 166mhz [if possible] & then install just the PC3200 again.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    You're not getting *any* performance now.
    You're not going to increase a laptop's performance with a different RAM type anyway.
    Could you explain these two statements please? i'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by Strawbs
    It's possible that the CPU is trying to up the FSB to match the PC3200 when you have just that ram installed, installing the PC2700 brings the speed down to that of the slowest stick! The graphics driver problem may be caused by the higher FSB speed - effectively overclocking the bus.

Try manually setting the FSB to 166mhz [if possible] & then install just the PC3200 again.
    Bios on HP/Compaq motherboards is VERY limiting. There are no options like that.

too bad it's impossible to barebones a laptop.

What should I do?
    1.) Return laptop and buy something else - Do you think, that for the same price, I could get something that runs better/faster?
    I spent $1,300 on:
    R4000 Laptop
    - AMD Newcastle 3200+
    - 2 x 256MB PC3200 RAM
    - 15.4" widescreen brightview display
    - two 12-cell batteries
    - wireless internet
    - ati radeon xpress 200m video card
    with the laptop, i got for free:
    - HP Deskjet 3847 Printer
    - printer cable
    - optical travel mouse
    - carrying case

if I return the laptop I have to pay shipping on all these items back to Compaq. would it be worth the hassle/shipping rates to buy something else from a different company?

2.) return RAM and buy PC2700:

if doing this will not decrease the clock speed of my processor, i will do this. can someone confirm this? and if so, will someone explain to me how this is possible that memory with a FSB of 166MHz wouldnt make the system run at 1.66GHz?

Thank you very much!

Brian

The system isn't working at all with the new RAM.

What makes you think that changing the *type* of RAM will make any difference in performance? Change the amount, yes. I don't buy into this "faster RAM" thing - never did.

The memory controller in Athlon 64 systems is built into the CPU. The CPU bus runs at 200Mhz no matter what RAM you put into the system.
    MS MCP, MCSE

According to the Crucial link posted by Bpb, your laptop will only run 333mhz fsb RAM - so the PC3200 is useless - you will have paid a premium for extra speed that you can't use [even if you could manually adjust the speed down to 166mhz] - return it, buy PC2700 from Crucial - It is guaranteed to work with your machine.

You're not getting *any* performance now
    means: it's not working!

You're not going to increase a laptop's performance with a different RAM type anyway
    means: Performance is limited by components other than RAM alone.

I have no Idea who might be able to supply a similar\better laptop for the same money in America.

All I know is that $1 = £0.57p

i see. thanks for clearing that up, Strawbs.

Now... while I have even the stock PC2700 RAM in, with Windows XP Professional, AND with CPU-Z...

it states my computer has the multiplier set at 5.0. which means that the operating frequency of the processor is 1GHz. I have no idea why. Once again, BIOS is very limited so I can't veiw it for myself. I don't understand. I'll go into Compaq cust serv tonight to straighten that out, but I've had enough of it for now.

PC2700 will be purchased, PC3200 will be returned. ...For now.