Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: More Problems with Compaq Laptop.

The CPU is running in economy mode because it's not under heavy use. All laptops do that to extend battery life.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Pfff. It's the "AMD Processor Update" that Compaq had me install. The update makes the processor report the wrong speed. MEH

I give up. Give me PC2700 RAM and I'll live with it.

(well i mean, i'll buy it and .. yeah.)

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    You're not getting *any* performance now. If Compaq says that PC2700 is best, it is. You're not going to increase a laptop's performance with a different RAM type anyway. If you really want a performance increase, pick up one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822146036

Here's your RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...eries&tabid=AM
    Well I ordered the laptop with 60GB 5400RPM. I have no problems giving up the 20GB of storage, but would an increase from 5400 to 7200 be significant enough to bother with selling the 60GB 5400RPM on Ebay and buying that 7200RPM hard drive for about $50 more?

On top of that, I would have to reinstall Windows and all of my programs and settings and such...

Thank you very much

If you want performance over all else, the Seagate 7200RPM drive will make a significant difference.

No - you don't have to reinstall Windows. All you need to do is copy your old drive to the new one with a copy of Ghost on a floppy and one of these:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=906&sku=17705

CompUSA has them.
    MS MCP, MCSE

BipolarBill,

I was going to buy the notebook hard drive you recommended today, but it seemed to disappear today. It's no longer on Newegg.

What other hard drive / retailer do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Brians

MS MCP, MCSE

More Problems with Compaq Laptop.

I'm very sorry for the long post, but I need to get something solved that even HP/Compaq can't help me out on.

The notebook is Compaq R4000.
    Motherboard is HP something-or-other with bios version F.14.
    OS is Windows XP Home SP 2
    Processor is AMD NewCastle 3200+

The AMD NewCastle 3200+ has a multiplier of 10.0, Vcore of 1.5v, and front side bus of 200MHz.

Basically it's supposed to run 2.0GHz.

There is something on the computer somewhere... lurking in the depths of the registry or somewhere deep in my computer, that is designed to decide whether or not I need to use the processor to its fullest potential.

This process limits the multiplier to 5.0 and turns Vcore down to 1.15v, to conserve battery life when the processes that the computer is running do not challenge the processor's clocking speed.

The only problem is, when I run programs that are very critical of the processor's clocking speed, such as FruityLoops or CounterStrike 1.6, the programs hang up frequently because this "process" that limits the processor's multiplier and Vcore.

Basically I don't like a piece of technology telling ME what I want. I want the processor to clock at 2GHz day in, day out, regardless of power consumption.

I downloaded and installed the Half-Life 2 demo. Even this "elite" gaming program was not enough to convince this "process" to turn the Vcore and Multiplier up.

CPU-Z is what I am using to get processor clockings. Very few times, I have seen CPU-Z report a ~2000MHz number, and when it does happen, it happens for about 15 minutes and my programs open and close and run flamboyantly faster and better than when the processor is running at 1000MHz.

I'm really at a loss. I hate calling Tier-Two customer service, because that always ends up with them wanting me to ship my laptop away to them. Tier-One (aka "chat with an online technician") on the HP website has proved themselves useless three times in a row on this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide. If no one knows, at least I cleared my head so I can go to sleep now. Please help!

Brian

try going to Power Options in Control Panel, see if you can turn this "feature" off there.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.

Are you SURE it supports 2 x 512? I have a Compaq laptop that supposedly would upgrade to 512(256 onboard) but I later discovered an Addendum sheet and info on their website that corrected that to 384. Once I had the right amount of memory installed, it passed the Microsoft memory diagnostic and it's been rock solid for years. Memory speed and timing were none issues, it was the amount. Since you said it worked fine w/768, then I would take a look at how much is officially supported.

Yeah actually it's expandable to 2GB of ram.

About Power Options, its not there.

Seems like it's integrated into the processor?

i dont know