Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Network Problems...

Wireless Network Problems...

Setting up Wireless network between two computers, both Win XP Home.

The "main" computer has the Linksys WRT54G router setup at it. The second computer has the Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G.

The router has kept all the default settings, ect and that computer (the "main" computer) is working 100% fine as far as internet connection goes, ect.

Problem... the second computer (the one I put the Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G in) is not connecting to the wireless router downstairs. I can get it to connect for anything... I tried everything I could think of. It shows in the systray that it is disconnected and you know if you right click on it it'll say something like "Find Avaliable Networks" or something like that, but it doesnt find anything

I went into "Advanced" and added one manualy. When I added it all I did was type in the SSI name (or whatever its called) which by default is "linksys". I didnt fill in anything for the WEP password or anything like that because as far as I know there is none... Why isnt it connecting to the one downstairs?!?!?

Thanks.
    Motherboard: ECS NForce 3-A Socket 754
    Memory: OCZ EB Series Platinum Edition 1GB (2x512MB Dual) PC-3500
    CPU: AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo 2.0GHz
    GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS 256MB
    PSU: Kingwin 600Watt

Been a while since I set up my home wireless, are you sure the router is broadcasting by default?
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek01
    Been a while since I set up my home wireless, are you sure the router is broadcasting by default?
    Yes it is, positive.

where is the system in relation to the router? if it is directly above/below each other, then you won't get a signal. you can try turning the antennae (both system and router) to be parallel with the floor. the range of wifi looks like a donut, not a sphere.

it could also be interference from something or that the floor is just too thick.

Well... it not EXACTLY above the router that is downstairs... its a little over to the left. Ummm... If I keep all the router settings default and the PCI adapter settings default it should find the network on its own?? Because at first I kept it all default and it didnt find the network so thats when I went into Advanced and added one with that network name "linksys" and still nothing.

Probably best if it finds it on it's own. It'll be scanning for SSIDs if it's working properly. I've had wireless cards in Linux/BSD work only with a manual scan... but everything in Windows works with an automatic scan. Might be intermittent but if you check every minute or two/or rescan it'll pick it up if it's there.

Hope you router/card isn't bad.
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

try adjusting the antenna first. have them parallel with each other; don't point the antennae directly at each other.

what are you using to detect your wireless network, the linksys utility or winxp wifi zero config service? if you didn't touch the router settings, then SSID broadcast should be on and linksys should be the default name.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    try adjusting the antenna first. have them parallel with each other; don't point the antennae directly at each other.

what are you using to detect your wireless network, the linksys utility or winxp wifi zero config service? if you didn't touch the router settings, then SSID broadcast should be on and linksys should be the default name.
    I'm not using anything to detect the network... I just poped the card in, turned the computer on, put the CD in that it came with, it came up, found the new hardware, installed it and that was it. Now it shows in the systray the wireless connection unavailable and all I do is right click on it and hit "Find all available networks" or whatever it says and it does its thing for a second and then comes back saying none were found or whatever.

you're supposed to run the CD BEFORE you install the card. didn't you read the instructions?

you're using the winxp wifi zero config service. IE "find all available networks". are you running SP1 or SP2. the SP2 wifizcfg is much better.

if you still can't figure it out, install the linksys wifi config program. that's why you're supposed to run the CD install before you put in the card.

Are you sure???

I know you're supposed to run the CD before you turn on the Router... but I didnt know you were supposed to run the CD on the PCI adapter before you put it in... really?

If this is the case can I take the PCI card out and run the CD and then install it again and put the PCI card back in again? I dont remember seeing anything on the PCI card instructions about running the CD before putting the card in.

Edit: It's running SP1.
    Last edited by dragflameson; 06-30-2005 at 04:32 PM. Reason: It's running SP1

i guess you don't HAVE to for xp according to the manual (you do for win9x and 2k, though). see page 7 of the manual and it will walk you through the wifi zero config service (the SP1 version). SP2 version is more graphical

you never said if you adjusted the antenna or not.

Thats odd, I dont remember having a manual with the PCI card. It was just two inserts folded up into 3's that explained the process of setting it up.

The antenna's are how they came. On the router they are both just sticking straight up and same on the PCI card behind the computer.

the manual should be a pdf on the cd. most companies do it like that now.
    http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=107

I already told you that you should have the antenna PARALLEL to each other. you can be busting your brains with the software, but it won't matter if you can't get a signal.

http://www.whotspot.com/p_wifi_basics.html
    Omni directional antennas broadcast in a 360˚ spread around the length of the antenna – like a donut with a stick in the center. When looking at the antenna from above, where the doughnut hole is, you will have a dead zone of coverage. These omni antennas are normally used for wide area access coverage, and are normally mounted upright for horizontal coverage.

As mentioned earlier, an omnidirectional antenna has a doughnut-shaped area of coverage, which means that there’s a hole right in the middle. If you’re working in the area covered by the hole and you aren’t able to connect to the network, try moving your wireless device, moving your base antenna, or mounting the antenna upside-down on the ceiling instead.

How do you mount the antenna upside-down on the ceiling if its attached to the back of the computer?!?!?! Are we talking about the same PCI card?

So you're saying to point the antenna's at each other?

No. you're getting it exactly opposite. if you pointed the antenna at each other, then you would be pointing the two dead spots at each other. you need the SIDES of the antenna to point at each other. you need to overlap the donuts.

in other words, turn the antenna 90 degress so they are parallel with the floor.