Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R520 is delayed, after all

R520 is delayed, after all

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24235
    IT LOOKS LIKE R520 will be delayed. We said yesterday that if the chip was delayed, it hadn't reached our tender innocent ears yet. Well, word of technical delays still have not reached said ears, and that is a good thing. To balance that out though, word of marketing delays did reach our lugs.

It seems that the G70 launch made an impression on our neighbours to the north, and ATI is not going to do a paper launch for short term accolades. Instead, it is going to hold off until it can pull the same stunt as Invidia did, availability from day one. If that means it will be a little delayed in launching, so be it.

If this sounds in any way like criticism, it isn't. While fear of web sites crying foul loomed, that still didn't stop Intel with dual cores, so it probably wouldn't stop ATI if it really wanted to do it. That said, I can only conclude ATI decided to take the high road and do the right thing, even if it meant a few PR pot shots coming its way. Good job.

As a note to the hardware community, keep this in mind when the R520 is 'late'. Would you rather have late and available, or early vapour? Call people on Scotch Mist, but pat them on the back if they do right, that's our watchword.
    After Nvidia's 7800GTX launch, ATI dare not do a paper launch again.

HAHA! Nvidia scared ATI. Man, that's a first. Most of the time, ATI is leading in the trends. Oh well. Looks like all you Radeon fans out there are waiting some more.

In otherwords, I think Nvidia is winning this round, at least in sales they are.

Originally posted by MadPistol
    In otherwords, I think Nvidia is winning this round, at least in sales they are.
    Heck, they are winning in performance when compared to their ATI counterparts.

DUDE!!! Someone make an agp 7800 lol! Otherwise I need to buy a whole new 939 system... And that is AFTER I get rich.

There are rumbles about a 7800GTX, or possibly a lower model (7800GT or regular). It's a demand based industry and nvidia admitted that it is 100% possible to make an agp version. It's just a matter of $$$. They don't feel there is a demand. I think that is BS. IMHO, they just want to sell more PCIe SLI boards.

ATI can't afford to do a paper launch now that Nvidia has upped the ante.

Ya know the greatest thing about all this is that we are all gonna benifit from this. Nvidia pushes ATI so they push back and all along we get faster and faster cards and maybe another 6600gt we can afford.Or should I say 7600gt

That's why you've got to love mass marketing corporations. They always push each other to come out with a better product. As long as Nvidia and Ati are setting the standard for the video card industry, we will see some incredible jumps in the industry for years to come.

this is from Extrem tech news to, not very ATI frendly from the looks of it eh.

ATI reported on their third quarter results last week, which came as a bit of a surprise to most, as their net result was a loss of about $ 8.5-million. Honestly we expected ATI to do a lot better as they’ve been introducing one new product after another in the past few months. But that could just be the gist of the matter; introducing new products which aren’t available just yet, hence they’ve created a demand but no sales, as the products aren’t available at the introduction. But wait a minute hasn’t that been ATI’s modus operandi for the past two years? Introducing new products and then not being able to ship them in volume for the next few months?

Well, in hindsight it took ATI more than six months to get availability on its Radeon X800 XT PE graphic cards, motherboards carrying the XPRESS 200 chipset never made it into the retail channel and only showed up in OEM designs and HyperMemory never really materialized. But more recently we’ve seen lots of press about Crossfire, ATI’s competing solution to NVIDIA’s SLI, but again are left wondering where the actual product is at? Doing a product introduction is one thing, but making sure there’s actual availability of that product is another. Hence ATI looks to have fallen victim to its own marketing tactics as the paper launches seem to have finally caught up with them in the from of declining sales.

But there’s more, as despite not being able to ship products shortly after their introduction ATI has been delaying quite a few products over the past few months as well. Crossfire for example was supposed to be introduced months ago and their new graphic card architecture, dubbed R520, should’ve materialized into actual products on retail shelves by now. Instead R520 has been delayed again, probably

due to the fact that the initial design is no match, or cannot guarantee a decisive victory over NVIDIA’s latest graphic card, the GeForce 7800 GTX, which was available in volume at introduction. Maybe ATI needs to follow suit again, much like they did with SLI, after all that would be in their, but more importantly the customer’s best interest.

ATI is also stuck with the stigma of being the "copycat". Nvidia releases the 6800, then ATI comes out with the X800s. Nvidia has SLI, then ATI has crossfire (might as well be crosssmoke and mirrors). Now we have the Nvidia 7800 and the ATI 520. yeesh.

It's like Coke and Pepsi. Coke has lime, then Pepsi has to copy. Coke has Diet with Splenda, then Pepsi has it.

Do you want to be an innovator or a regurgitator?

thats to funny

ATI has some catching up here. As far as I can tell, Nvidia is (and always has) invented the next generation of graphics technology. They are far more creative with their ideas for marketing than ATI ever has been. Because of this, they are the leaders on the market today. It's sad to say that, because you thought with the introduction of the 9800 that we were going to see a new radical era from them where they would topple the Graphics empire of Nvidia. Apparently, I (as is we) were wrong.

Dang!

I thought it would be AGP. I was ready to cash in my X800 pro for one of these....alas i have the cash for a new card not the cash for a whole new PC thoguh

Maybe next year i'll do a full overhaul of my baby. It runs perfectly just now though still

my take is if you've already got a highend 6800/ X850 and it runs perfectly, why bother upgrading?

Ultimate Member
    ...and as with the G70 it's almost certainly not going to be that impressive a piece of hardware, regardless of the delay

--Jakk

The 7800 is basically a revamped, 6800 on steriods. That's not what is impressing the industry. The fact that cards were available in quantity on the launch date has set the bar very high for ATI. They cannot afford to have a subpar card with a paper launch.